• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever refused to carry out tasks not originally agreed when you started your contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stationery....
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Got a thing about this.

Clients don't like contractors who say Im not doing that its not in my contract. Or saying oh thats not good for IR35 so I'm not doing it.

Not saying, dont mention it or let yourself be walked over, but its a sure fire way to have no contract. I've seen it happen lots of times....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Clients don't like contractors who say Im not doing that its not in my contract. Or saying oh thats not good for IR35 so I'm not doing it.
        Its all in the way you say it.
        I agree throwing in "not in my contract" or "IR 35 problems", however, there are other ways to crack a nut
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Got a thing about this.

Not saying, dont mention it or let yourself be walked over, but its a sure fire way to have no contract. I've seen it happen lots of times....
          Yep, a sure fire way to undo all the goodwill you've built with the client plus you'll probably find that certain extension isnt so certain anymore.

At the end of the day everyone has to make their own judgement either to do the 'extra' or refuse. If its something that's related to your current role or work, I dont really see the problem. Even if its not, you can ask for the additional work or responsibilities to be added to the next contract.

In any event, how are HMRC really going to find out?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Me personally, I'd suck it up. But I'm trying to build up my war chest so wouldn't want to out of a contract if possible.

It depends on your situation and your ability to just get on with it.

Comment

Ever refused to carry out tasks not originally agreed when you started your c...

Sorry, you were asked to help book a room and as a result of that you have decided everything else in your post has already happened in your mind?

You went from "SUDDENLY I was asked to help book a room" to "this means that I am now going to be doing an administrator role for the next 2 month".

There's a big leap there that might not exist.

I've been suddenly asked to book a room before when the person who does it wasn't around. The world didn't end, neither did I complain that it wasn't in my contract.
              Last edited by WTFH; 14 November 2015, 16:06.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
                I agree with you. I'm a woman within a team of women who are all mothers with children which makes the situation worse. I know they have priorities, and no disrespect to mums in general, but it seems they also use their kids as a constant excuse to leave early, take numerous days off at short notice within a short period and expect me to cover.
                Always at the start of a contract if there are loads of women who mention their kids indicate you have to help care for someone in your family. Then close them down if they whine to you how hard it is to look after their kids as they made a conscious choice.

There was even a conversation about Christmas cover where it was strongly implied that as I don't have kids my personal time is less important. Even though my work is non critical to the company and 75% of the team will be off during this period I'm told I'm needed.
                Did you tell them from the beginning when you got your contract that you were on holiday over the Xmas period? I always do unless I need the money.

The admin cover bit now feels like the last straw. What some may think is nothing to me I see these tasks as an insult, way below my capabilities and are being pushed onto me as no one else wants to do it ,and it would take over a month to get a replacement admin support. They talk about team work but I'm seriously cheesed off about this. I've been accommodating to my female boss throughout the time I've been there, spoken to quite poorly many times by one of them but my question is if this was a man would he put up with this or walk? Would you chaps? I've got my weekly call with my boss this morning, the day after this meeting room email which I said I couldn't help with and I know will go down like a lead balloon. Guys? ?
                No point asking guys they are treated differently. Lots of them don't see sexism when it's right in front of them but a minority see it before you do.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I work in a large team of contractors, and my bosses are contractors. I tell you right now if I refused a task (or anyone else did) they would be down the road that fast their feet wouldnt touch. Its getting ruthless out there, in years gone by I would have said NO! but not now. The project I am on winds up at the end of the year, and the next project starts most of us are extended with a view to going on that gig pays to keep everyong smiling

Comment

I agree with you. I'm a woman within a team of women who are all mothers with children which makes the situation worse. I know they have priorities, and no disrespect to mums in general, but it seems they also use their kids as a constant excuse to leave early, take numerous days off at short notice within a short period and expect me to cover. There was even a conversation about Christmas cover where it was strongly implied that as I don't have kids my personal time is less important. Even though my work is non critical to the company and 75% of the team will be off during this period I'm told I'm needed. The admin cover bit now feels like the last straw. What some may think is nothing to me I see these tasks as an insult, way below my capabilities and are being pushed onto me as no one else wants to do it ,and it would take over a month to get a replacement admin support. They talk about team work but I'm seriously cheesed off about this. I've been accommodating to my female boss throughout the time I've been there, spoken to quite poorly many times by one of them but my question is if this was a man would he put up with this or walk? Would you chaps? I've got my weekly call with my boss this morning, the day after this meeting room email which I said I couldn't help with and I know will go down like a lead balloon. Guys? ?
                    I sympathise with you a bit - the odd bit of 'helping out' and suddenly it is your job.

Want me advice, do it, do it quicker and better than everyone else - that is if the bit in bold above is true.

Once you have done it hand it back in a pretty loud voice saying something along the lines of

"Well booking a room is easy - pretty sure anyone can do it so no real need for me to get involved again"

There you go everyone is happy!

Comment

I'd tread a neutral path, by pointing out that you really shouldn't be doing these things being paid the day rate you are, and that if investigated they might end up with a rather large Employer NI bill (just to scare them a bit as most people don't understand) - then do the thing you were asked to 'show good will'.

In terms of real world examples you wanted - I have recently done this when asked to attend a Directorship course with the Board.

Comment

Working...
                      X