• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody know the significance of agencies asking "what is your current rate"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I have similar question if you guys care answering.

Say a role says it pays between 400-475 ... do you always opt for the end bracket (475) and maybe negotiate down , or you say your rate is somewhere in the middle (say 450 ?). Whats your approach when asked for a rate in this example?
    It depends how I rate myself compared to the requirements mainly. The closer the match, the higher the rate.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      It depends how I rate myself compared to the requirements mainly. The closer the match, the higher the rate.
      Makes sense, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        A lot of times I tend to get this question
        TRWTF is that so many of you are even getting these cold calls to begin with.

Don't you all have "temporary" phone numbers (i.e. PAYG SIM/Virtual Number etc.) that are discarded once you land a gig?? If you don't, you really need to try it. Peace and quiet for the duration of your contract and you'll only need to deal with the agents once your gig ends and you're looking for another one.

Comment

This is when I'm looking for work.

When I'm in contract I ignore any agency calls and enjoy the break from it.

Comment

I have a nokia 3310 for my contracting work.

Although recently it has started switching itself off randomly, which is a known issue with them
            Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

It's annoying being asked this question, but to be fair, I can understand it.

They want to get an idea of what level of contracts to aim at you, they want to get a rough idea of the market, and most importantly, they hope to be able to stiff you in a rate negotiation.

It's just part of the game you have to deal with if you work through agents.

Also, this:

Comment

Do find you can do this successfully?

Lots of agents seem to phone from "Withheld Numbers". Sure, you can just refuse to answer any withheld number, but I'd rather use a "temporary" number that is only ever given to pimps and promptly discarded when a gig is landed. That way, I don't even have to worry about the distraction of dismissing countless incoming withheld number calls!

Comment

I find it successful as anyone I want to talk to is already programmed in on my phone so they will come up if they are calling. Any calls I do not recognise go to my voicemail if its important then I get left a message and I contact them back.

Comment

I had one of those calls just today.... I simply stipulate how can I even guess my day rate for an unspecified contract? it depends on the work involved, the travel and the opportunities it presents, then I just quote them my going rate plus or minus £100 to accommodate for the variables. If they keep a list of contractors on some internal DB then technically I've answered the question while leaving such a large window I'll not rule myself out of most searches based on rates

Comment

What an odd way to run a business, ignoring calls from potential contacts...

I'm of the opinion that speaking to agents and politely telling them that I'm currently in contract, but this is when it ends, this is my rate range, and here's an up-to-date copy of my cv, works better than ignoring any networking opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                      X