• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella pretending to be UK based?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't call it paranoia.

If they have been "treating" with you on the basis of a certain set of facts (i.e. that they are called XYZ Limited and are based at 123 Any Street, Anytown, England, AN30 YTO) and the contract then arrives bearing different details, then there can't be said to have been a "meeting of minds" in relation to who the parties to the contract are. That could then call into question any clauses that rely upon one party having any expectation of the other - for example, you expect them to pay you but if the contract is not "met" in relation to who "them/they" are, you could find them being argumentative. The Court would likely side with you if it came to it - but you'd [possibly] have the devil's own job getting them into a courtroom - especially if they are already appearing to play fast and loose with facts like those.
    Any opinion expressed here is just that - an opinion. It is my own view - unless I have (shamelessly) stolen someone your opinion in which case, I'm sorry (that you found out!)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by maspinall View Post
      I wouldn't call it paranoia.

If they have been "treating" with you on the basis of a certain set of facts (i.e. that they are called XYZ Limited and are based at 123 Any Street, Anytown, England, AN30 YTO) and the contract then arrives bearing different details, then there can't be said to have been a "meeting of minds" in relation to who the parties to the contract are. That could then call into question any clauses that rely upon one party having any expectation of the other - for example, you expect them to pay you but if the contract is not "met" in relation to who "them/they" are, you could find them being argumentative. The Court would likely side with you if it came to it - but you'd [possibly] have the devil's own job getting them into a courtroom - especially if they are already appearing to play fast and loose with facts like those.
      But, as all you want from an umbrella is prompt payment following receipt of timesheets, why invite potential expensive, mind destroying, heartbreaking complications for the sake of a 'promised' few quid more?

Comment

Working...
      X