• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much rate rise to cover no expensese after 2 year rule kicks in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Has anyone EVER managed to get client to agree to this based on contractor explaining the 24 month rule to them?

Can just see it.

Contractor: Thing is for 2 years I've managed not to pay tax on all my travelling costs and saved myself couple of £100 a month in tax.

Client: You mean travel to work like us permies pay for out our net salary? That must be nice for you.

Contractor: Yes. Thing is I want £x per day to cover this or I'll be worse off.

Client: So you've been here 2 years, getting x times more than the permies, you've been milking the tax system, and now its over you want us to pay more?

Contractor: Yes please.

(BTW. Not saying I agree with this conversation but this is how client may think rightly or wrongly. 90% IMHO seem to think the start rate is the rate forever).
    I did it at a client site when I was approaching 2 years and they asked if I'd be interested in staying on beyond that. I explained about the 2 years rule and how my current expenses were around 50 a day which is the hit I was going to take if I took the extension. (I knew that it was actually ony the tax saving on that I was going to get hit with) and they wanted me to stay so we agreed on £44 extra a day on the rate.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Has anyone EVER managed to get client to agree to this based on contractor explaining the 24 month rule to them?

Can just see it.

Contractor: Thing is for 2 years I've managed not to pay tax on all my travelling costs and saved myself couple of £100 a month in tax.

Client: You mean travel to work like us permies pay for out our net salary? That must be nice for you.

Contractor: Yes. Thing is I want £x per day to cover this or I'll be worse off.

Client: So you've been here 2 years, getting x times more than the permies, you've been milking the tax system, and now its over you want us to pay more?

Contractor: Yes please.

(BTW. Not saying I agree with this conversation but this is how client may think rightly or wrongly. 90% IMHO seem to think the start rate is the rate forever).
      Why do you need to tell them your life story. "My costs have gone up, so I need to charge you more"
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
        Why not ask to work 2 days on site, 3 days at home. Then the 24 month rule doesn't apply.
        Can't access the apps that I test from home, so that's a non starter unfortunately.
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          Currently claim around £1000 a month for accommodation, mileage and subsistence.
          When this all stops after the 2 year rule kicks in, how much extra per month would you need to cover it with a rate rise?

Edit: Bollocks - typo in header!
          Hahahaha! You think the client never mind the agent is concerned about your expenses!?

You might get a 100 quid a week if you're plucky enough.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Complaining about the 24 month rule is like complaining over the bedroom tax; you're not losing out, you're just winning slightly less than you used to. You're still on top.
            Depends on how you define 'winning'. It's not some lucky windfall - it's a business expense. As soon as it stops being a business expense, you're losing.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              True, it has to be "grossed up".

Meanwhile, the company profit increases by £1000 a month, so corporation tax goes up by £200. Your company is worse off by £200 and you are worse off by £666. (all other things assumed equal)

So is the answer 886/20 = £44.30 ?
              No. If you're already a higher rate tax payer, then profit goes up by £1000. CT = £200 leaving £800. That £800 taken as dividend is taxed at an effective 25% leaving £600.

600 is 400 less than 1000.
              400 / 20 days = £20 per day.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                No. If you're already a higher rate tax payer, then profit goes up by £1000. CT = £200 leaving £800. That £800 taken as dividend is taxed at an effective 25% leaving £600.

600 is 400 less than 1000.
                400 / 20 days = £20 per day.
                You need £1000 out as a dividend to pay the expenses, not £800.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  good point.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Does that make £22.50 then? £200 CT plus £250 on the divi of £1k ? / 20 days.

That's assuming you don't already take out 100% so there is a full 1k to take out as divi.

Comment

"I was giving you a discounted B2B rate for the first 2 years because the government lets me pay reduced tax."

Comment

Working...
                      X