• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do when a client is dragging on a project (and you're losing other work!)?!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when a client is dragging on a project (and you're losing other work!)?!?!

Hi

I work as a freelance designer, usually through recruitment agencies but lately have been doing work for a private client who hires me directly to do design for their projects (they do the UX).

A few weeks ago, they engaged me on a new project and asked me to quote for / provide both design + development (I'd hire a developer).

They got sign off on the job and I was told project "kick off" would be the following week. So I secured the (freelance) developer and asked him to be available for this.

Four weeks have now passed and there has been no "kick off" as yet, which means both myself and my developer have missed out on 4 weeks work of other freelance gigs.

I do trust the project is going ahead - I suspect they are still working through their part (wireframes) - but it's now getting to the point where I'm losing a lot of money while waiting.

Last week, I raised concern and asked specifically for a date when we will see wireframes but was told again: "kick off next week".

We have not signed a contract that has bound us to dates so we are free to disengage if we want but I have been working with this client for some time so I don't want to chase off future work, however I need to put some pressure on.

What would be the best approach with this?

Do I asked for half payment to secure my time (although this doesn't really stop them from dragging longer and still losing a few weeks of other work)

Or do I (politely) "threaten" them, explaining my position of lost wages and tell them I will need to reschedule the project if it does not commence by X date?

I just wonder if I were a proper design "agency" - how would I handle it? Should it be different if I'm a freelancer?

Any advice would be super helpful!

Thank you!

Keep looking until you are actually there, the work is in progress and you've invoiced that first invoice.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Keep looking until you are actually there, the work is in progress and you've invoiced that first invoice.
      Hi TheFaQQer, thanks for your reply! Although, not sure what you mean....

I think maybe I wasn't clear about work - I am not actually seeking work, but turning it down. Most of the job requests I've been getting span for 2 weeks onward so I've been unable to commit b/c of this client's dragging project.

I was hoping for suggestions on ways to pressure my client into moving more quickly so that we can commence. Just not sure how hard a line to take with him.

Any other thoughts would be great - thank you!!

Comment

Chance you take sometimes they drag their heels as funding is an issue they are not going to tell you that if they think you are waiting on them.

2 weeks wow that little I have waited several months & then still got shafted after being told its coming soon. IME carry on regardless take the other work & if the original client is that good to you then you will have to let the other client down.

Contracting is a mercenary business at times that's just the nature of it. You will usually be the last to know if the situation is reversed

Comment

Depends a lot on your general situation. Are you in demand a lot, or projects are hard to find? Do you value this particular customer a lot? There is a whole spectrum of possible actions, ranging from just hoping the project will start next week to invoicing them for those 4 weeks at your normal rate - and telling them to get lost if they refuse to pay. Normally you should sign a contract which would then state what to do in situations like this. If you don't have one signet yet, IMO there's very little you can do about those 4 weeks, it all comes to further loss management.

Comment

Just accept other work as you're already hiring other people, why not hire an additional designer if other work needs to be done in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Just accept other work as you're already hiring other people, why not hire an additional designer if other work needs to be done in parallel?
              ^This

Then let the foot dragging client know when you are available and get the boot on the correct foot

Comment

Originally posted by creativecontractor View Post
                Hi

I just wonder if I were a proper design "agency" - how would I handle it? Should it be different if I'm a freelancer?
                You should continue to accept and undertake other clients work and "schedule" your resources to undertake that other work accordingly.

So for instances if they say "Kick off this Thursday". Go to the meeting ( bill for it ), agree, be polite and at the end tell them you cannot start for another 4 weeks time.

They won't care ( really ). Unless you have given them the idea that you will start immediately.

If you phoned a builder would you expect him to start work tomorrow? You might expect him to turn up and discuss the job, but you would not kick him into touch if he said : "I am just finishing off blah... I will be ready to begin your work in x weeks or days"

Of course the client want would love it if you started immediately but I bet they would not have any qualms about delaying the start for 3 months if that suited them.

Also starting immediately sends out the wrong signals .... I'm desperate .... I have no other work ...

Final tip ( that I'm getting better at myself ) is never give any one client more than 40% of your time.

Comment

Just take some other work and tell the other client "sorry but you've been a wee too slow so I'm not available at the moment; I'll be available in xy weeks"

Comment

Thanks everyone for these very helpful suggestions!

I will proceed accepting the other work and realise now I need to get my house in order since I essentially am operating as my own agency now. And I know for next time I will have a contract drawn up.

That said - can anyone recommend any online resources that might show example contracts or suggestions for what to include in a client / agency agreement?

I do have a few scope of work examples which outlines what's needed once the brief has been given but I guess an actual "kick off" contract is needed to start!

Many thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X