• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issue with placement agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rowingf35 View Post
    That's for sure. But the question is what can I do to force them to release me.
    There's nothing you can do to force the agency to release you. Your options are restricted to giving the agency a backhander or else contacting the person who interviewed/hired you and explaining to them what the situation is. If you persuade one of the agencies on the PSL to take you on board you may find the problems melt away so I would try that too.

I won't get a job because of them.
    Sounds a shame but life is a female dog sometimes.

Boo

Comment

What exactly are they doing to stop you? You are dealing direct with the client so how are they even in the loop?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask the client what agencies are on their PSL. Then as your so desperate to work with the client contact one of them making sure it's a large one.* Then ask them to represent you.

*I'm presuming here you know how to use google and other websites to confirm this.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What do they need to 'release' you from? Do you have an exclusivity agreement with them, or have you signed anything with them to state that they would represent you to this client?

Comment

That's for sure. But the question is what can I do to force them to release me.

I won't get a job because of them.
            As I said on my last post, they have no contract with you, no contract with client co. All they have is empty threats.

Comment

This sounds like the client is asking for the agency 'release.' The agency is clearly making a stand because they want a successful 'in' to the client's PSL.

This is only going to end in tears. The agency wont let go of the contractor else they see their 'in' disappear. The client doesnt want to deal with the agency so are asking for the 'release.'

Unless the client drops the 'release' requirement or accepts the agency, this offer is going nowhere Im afraid. Best start looking for something new IMHO.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                This sounds like the client is asking for the agency 'release.' The agency is clearly making a stand because they want a successful 'in' to the client's PSL.

This is only going to end in tears. The agency wont let go of the contractor else they see their 'in' disappear. The client doesnt want to deal with the agency so are asking for the 'release.'

Unless the client drops the 'release' requirement or accepts the agency, this offer is going nowhere Im afraid. Best start looking for something new IMHO.
                The agency has no contract with the client.

The agency may have an agreement to represent the contractor with the contractor but as they don't have a contract with the client, they become unstuck.

Hence all the contractor needs to do if they are so desperate to work for the client is find an agency with enough clout on the client's PSL who will tell the first agency to foxtrot oscar. However this does depend on the client having signed agreements or other wproof with the agents that they are on it's PSL to show that a contact exists.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 22 March 2015, 21:49.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

BB is probably right, there is a good chance it will eventually get under the nose of someone in legal at client co who will just say "bin the contractor".

Comment

Hi, I am a uk contractor and I have an issue with a placement agency that put my cv forward for a role for which they cannot place me since they are not on the preferred suppliers list with the client and are now refusing to release me despite the fact that the client are prepared to offer the job direct.

Is the agency allowed to block my application with the client in these circumstances ?

Many thanks.
                    Eric
                    Release you from what? HAve they got you tied up?

Speak to client, get new agency name from them that they will deal with and crac on. Ignore old agency.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Ask the client for a list of who's on the PSL and a contact there.

Get the agency to talk to someone on the PSL and get you in there - even if there's a cut in your rate to cover the addition to the chain, that's got to work out better than getting 100% of nothing, surely?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X