• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent asks for current rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell them that it depends on what's expected of you followed by asking them what the client is offering.

Negotiation ends the moment you open your mouth !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why do even have to lie? It's a negotiation. Just tell them what you want.
      I hope you wait to hear what's on offer before you tell them what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Always lie tell them its more than it is but your willing to negotiate they do this all the time to see who is cheapest! Just say its way more but you will do it for less to get the role
        This.
        Bump it up by 50%. ' but for you, for this contract, I'll knock 20% off....'

Otherwise you're on the race to the bottom.

Comment

It's business sensitive information so don't tell them a figure. Just say it's market rate for the role you are doing in the area you're doing it in.

Comment

I had this one yesterday. Replied back saying it doesn't matter and they said "Oh, well the client will want to know". Managed to resist laughing and telling them that's rubbish and it's them that wanted to know so they could low ball me, and then just told them that it's what I was looking for on the contract we were talking about.

Comment

DON'T TELL THEM, PIKE!

I recently applied for a role where the day rate was advertised at 400-500. Agent asked me how much I was on. In a generous mood, I said £350 (I never normally tell) . He said 'Ok, I'll put you forward at £380 then'. Serves me right.

Another agency told me it was important that they knew because if I was on, say, £250 then I wouldn't be up to a role paying £350 plus. In my line of work I've seen rates anything between £200 and £700. Both ends are quite rare, usual is £250-450 which is fairly wide and shows how market rate can be fairly meaningless.

Comment

Not up to it?

That's ridiculous. At the height of the GFc, I had ex-MDs of IBs reporting into my project making 450-550 a day! I reckon in their previous perm roles, they would likely have been at the Program Director / SC level...

Sometimes pple like to work certain locations.... Yes ago, I once took a lowball rate simply because my wife was pregnant and i wanted to be near her workplace. That paid 350 and I was on 450 previously!

"Not up to it?" Heh.

Comment

Just ask them what the client's rate range is. If they say they havent got one, ask them do they mean they 'havent got a job with the client?' (And please, dont anyone get into semantics about the use of the word 'job.')
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I like your thinking - they want the cheapest person, so whack your rate up way more than it is and tell them that you'll be cheaper because they can talk you down.

Genius.
                    Sadly its more like over 20 years contracting experience & getting shafted by being honest than genius

Comment

You should never be the first to give a number.

Comment

Working...
                      X