• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate dilution bait and switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies, something tells me I won't be the first or last to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Oh for goodness sake... maybe I should move this back to general so that really appropriate responses can be made. "Employer" indeed.
      Granted they aren't unix's employer but their are the employer of others and you really shouldn't treat people like this as those who can escape (i.e. the competent ones) will leaving the muppets behind.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Started a new role where the rate was higher than my previous one. I assumed the same hours per day but the new one in an extra hour which dilutes my rate to less per hour than previous. I didn't find out about the hours per day until I arrived. There are also other issues I am unhappy with which could constitute breach (role uses different tech to what I use and what is stated on my contract). Is it better to cut and run now without invoicing or hang around for a few weeks to work notice?
        FFS, why did you 'assume' the hours would be the same!? This is something you should have clarified at interview or at the very least with the agent.

Sounds to me like you're using the excuse of a single hour per day to look for other issues you claim 'could constitute' a breach.

You need to get back to permiedom and quick.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          FFS, why did you 'assume' the hours would be the same!? This is something you should have clarified at interview or at the very least with the agent.

Sounds to me like you're using the excuse of a single hour per day to look for other issues you claim 'could constitute' a breach.

I've got similar important issues

1. I've got a 1 ear phone headphones rather than 2 I had at my old contract

2. The coffee is 40p a cup here and free and my last place

3. My chair is a different colour

Should I walk ?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Painful lesson I guess.

Everywhere I've worked (permie or contract), the hours have always been 37.5/week, but I do always check what my contract says.

Current contract only stated PWD, I did not ask in the interview what the hours were (never have!) and the agent wouldn't say anything other than "you'll need to confirm with client co contact when you are on site".

Just bit the bullet and went in, worked out fine for me though.

I'd have thought 37.5 was "normal" though. What are others experience?

Comment

For IB in London a PWD = min 40 hrs

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                Man, I knew they worked you hard, but that's ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  That's a long day.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Man, I knew they worked you hard, but that's ridiculous
                    D'oh!

You know what I mean

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      find another role and leave, they are the sort of employer nobody needs.
                      That isn't an issue. He isn't employed by them....
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X