• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deducted hours for compulsory event

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

EDIT: is it definitely not a bit of miscommunication and they don't want you to book that half day to a particular project code?
    OP would probably not complain if he/she has the "project" included in his/her statement of work.

Comment

Sod that. I'd be saying pay or I'm off.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Sod that. I'd be saying pay or I'm off.
        Bear in mind that by turning down work, you won't be able to sign on for a bit longer.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          I never fail to be surprised on this site, and I would be genuinely gob smacked if one of my clients did this to me.

I'd like to say on principal I would hand in my notice there and then, but it would depend on the current market, warchest etc. Even then though, all trust lost for me, and I'd be immediately looking for a new role.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT: is it definitely not a bit of miscommunication and they don't want you to book that half day to a particular project code?
          WHS

Many will cry foul and let loose the dogs of Walk but he may need the gig.

Personally I would be seriously miffed. I would air my views to the IT director or similar if my direct report did not budge. Failing that it would totally depend on Warchest. But I would be on JobServe within mins.

Comment

Problem is if you give an inch with a client they try and take a mile.

I would definitely be on a work to rule and would want e-mail confirmation I would be paid for anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              My present client is demanding that I attend the year end Chrismas meal.
              "Asking" or "demanding"? If it is the latter I would refuse regardless of whether they were paying and it was in office hours.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My present client is demanding that I attend the year end Chrismas meal. Of course I have declined as ,

1. The meal is out of hours.
                2. The client expects all contractors to pay for their own meal.
                3. Client has furloughed me over Christmas, as such I'm not seeing the joy in celebrating.

They keep sending me Outlook reminders that I promptly delete.

I did state it's bang out of order and you should stand your ground, but we all know it might not be worth being out of work for a month or two. So you need to do what is right. The point here is that you need to anticipate these types of situations in the future and make sure you are on the right side of them.
                "I can't make it that night".
                "My missus has her night out and I have the kids".
                No kids? "I'm picking the missus up from her night out"

Comment

if they keep pushing, just say you will go to the Christmas meal and then just don't show up. nobody will notice/remember you weren't there.

Comment

No kids and I'm working away. I like the direct approach, "I do like you all, but not enough to pay for a meal. Thanks, but no thanks." * ok a bit of a lie*
                    How about, "You lot are barely tolerable during office hours, there's no way in hell I want to spoil a meal with your presence" ?

Comment

At my current gig, when asked if I would be attending the Christmas party I said "Traditionally I do not attend this event"

Comment

Working...
                      X