• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview In Different Sector - Right Move ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview In Different Sector - Right Move ?

My PM contracting background has always been in the Financial Services sector, mainly banking/insurance.

However I have secured an interview for a role in a totally different sector, on basis of my core PM skills. Role looks good and is close to home.

On one hand it shows that I am versatile and can work across different industry sectors with good PM skills. However I am worried that if I take a role that is non-FS sector related, could it affect my chances on the next role in moving back into the FS sector (it seems most contract PM roles are FS experience required) ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    My PM contracting background has always been in the Financial Services sector, mainly banking/insurance.

However I have secured an interview for a role in a totally different sector, on basis of my core PM skills. Role looks good and is close to home.

On one hand it shows that I am versatile and can work across different industry sectors with good PM skills. However I am worried that if I take a role that is non-FS sector related, could it affect my chances on the next role in moving back into the FS sector (it seems most contract PM roles are FS experience required) ?

Any thoughts on this ?
    When you get a new role do you wipe your CV and only show the last?

Comment

Just because you take a role in a different sector it doesn't mean you have lost all the experience you gained in the FS sector surely? Have you also got a role on offer in the FS.....if the answer is no then take the gig if it is offered to you.

Comment

If you already have the FS experience then surely working in another sector is not only good for your CV but may also be good for you.

I'd argue it would help give you a different perspective, potentially learning new skills/techniques that could be brought back and implemented within a FS role.

Maybe I've been

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Any thoughts on this ?
          Forget business for the moment, what do you want to do with your life?

I have spent 20 years in the healthcare sector and have never done anything else... until a few weeks ago I started an appallingly paid part time contract in a friend's software start-up (I am running another part time well paid healthcare consultancy role at the same time). It will cost me a lot of money in lost income, and I don;t care at all. I am enjoying it so much.

There's a big universe out there and you only get one go. What do you want to do with it?

Comment

IMO you are a contractor, you go where the money is. I read all this stuff about not being able to break in to the Financial sector or once you are in you can't get out rubbish and I just don't believe it. In order of my contracts I have worked in Banking, Banking, Telecoms, Pharma, Legal Services and Retail. I have had no problem whatsoever jumping around and I haven't been given financial gigs even with financial experience so I just don't bother with what industry it is in. If I like the gig I go for it. Period.

What I do think is important is making it clear at the interview that you have researched and understood the new clients business and customer base and convince them you understand it and what differences it makes to your delivery. Some clients focus is on risk, some on regulatory issues, some on fast growth etc. For example if you go in to a public body and tell the interviewers you are a bull dog and will wring every last drop of sweat out of everyone to meet deadlines you won't get a sniff. They just don't work like that.

Jumping out of the financial sector for a bit certainly isn't going to harm you as you can still prove experience even if you have a couple of different gigs under your belt in between. If the clients you have in between are still big, well known companies it won't do any harm at all. It can be very refreshing to see different types of clients and cultures as well IMO..

I say go for it and don't worry.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              In order of my contracts I have worked in Banking, Banking, Telecoms, Pharma, Legal Services and Retail.
              Sure, but toilet cleaning can't be that different across sectors.

Comment

The only thing I'd say is I started in IT projects and moved to FS and IT won't touch me despite it being no different moving a server from one site to another now as ten years ago. It's just a box!

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
                  The only thing I'd say is I started in IT projects and moved to FS and IT won't touch me despite it being no different moving a server from one site to another now as ten years ago. It's just a box!
                  You didn't say that in any interview did you?

Comment

Insurance can be one of those industries that once you are in, it is difficult to move out of it, especially if you work in the more niche sectors.

I have migrated though from niche insurance to asset management, consultancy, software and publishing, but I keep getting tagged for insurance because of all the years experience.

So in essence it doesn't impact your cv moving around at all.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X