• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Is Costing the UK £100 Billion a Year in Lost Output

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Is Costing the UK £100 Billion a Year in Lost Output

According to Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g0ULB9IvBKdJKA

[]

Obviously remoaner fake news bollox.

But, even it were true, it's a small price to be free of the shackles of the EU.

Any price is worth paying to be outside the EU. Not that there is a price; that's just remoaners making tulip up.
    [/ ]
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      []

Obviously remoaner fake news bollox.

But, even it were true, it's a small price to be free of the shackles of the EU.

Any price is worth paying to be outside the EU. Not that there is a price; that's just remoaners making tulip up.
      [/ ]
      Unsure if you're trolling but, assuming not:
      • Which bit of the economic analysis do you think is incorrect?
      • Do you believe any size impact on our economy is worth it as long as we're "free" of the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

• Do you believe any size impact on our economy is worth it as long as we're "free" of the EU?
        The IMF forecasts have been incredibly inexact for many years. They had us in recession several years ago and that never happened. They are only predictions anyway, not actual figures, and make several assumptions. The reality is that our economy, taken as a whole, is not dissimilar in performance and outlook than Germany's.

The problem is that we haven't yet realised the potential benefits from being outside the EU (unless of course you include the Covid issue(s) and the Ukraine war and the fact our economy is more affected by worldwide trading that the EU's large internal market), one reason for which - and there are several admittedly, including poor government performance - is changes being blocked by a coterie of Remainers getting in the way.

So I'm with DOND for once. People need to live with reality, not fantasy.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Genuine question.... what 'potential benefits' ? I've yet to see any Brexit supporter give a tangible benefit which could not have be realised within the EU.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

I was imitating a Brexit cretin, hence the [] tags.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Genuine question.... what 'potential benefits' ? I've yet to see any Brexit supporter give a tangible benefit which could not have be realised within the EU.
              Black passports made abroad
              We don’t need lawnmower insurance that we didn’t need anyway
              A signpost in the Dartford tunnel is less confusing
              We’re not bound by tax regulations that impact offshore trusts
              And we are in full control of our borders, like how quickly we closed them at the start of the pandemic
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Apart from not being directed by an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels (or is it Strasbourg this week), not having our legal system subject to another court system entirely, not being able to trade freely with our Commonwealth partners (ask New Zealand about that one...) and having another 4000 or so largely unnecessary, and often inferior regulations foisted on our businesses.

You're not a member of the Palestine Liberation Front or the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine by any chance...?

It's not all about the economy, important as that is. It's about sovereignty. The people that signed up for the EEC under the great statesman Heath did not sign up to be a part of a federal European state under those other major statesmen, Blair and Major.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

For me personally, it's all down side.
                  • It's harder to buy stuff from the EU. All but one of the companies I used to buy from can't be arsed with the hassle of exporting to the UK.
                  • It's harder to retire to Spain etc. Many more hoops to jump through, plus financial bars to gaining residency. Having to take a Spanish driving test.
                  • Soon there's going be impediments to traveling there. Visas, and even talk of finger prints. Not the end of the world but just more arse ache.
                  It's a crock of tulip, and I'm not expecting to ever see any tangible benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Apart from not being directed by an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels
                    Can you elaborate on that? I.e. who is it that you think is unelected?

As I understand it, there are direct elections, e.g. I used to vote for MEPs. There are also indirect elections, e.g. national leaders vote for the President of the EU Commission.

Looking at the UK, there's a similar indirect process. E.g. the last few Prime Ministers have been elected by Conservative MPs and/or Conservative party members, but I never got a vote in that.

There's a longer article here:
                    Is the European Union governed by 'unelected bureaucrats'? | LSE Undergraduate Political Review

Comment

Working...
                    X