• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Well, Brits haven't picked veg round our way for decades.

In recent years, some local farmers have tried hiring Brits but they found them to be unreliable and nowhere near as hard working as the foreign workers.
    Have a look at the stories around the uk farm worker scheme hundreds of thousands applied very few got jobs.

I and more importantly the facts have found farmers far more exploitative and less focussed on welfare than other bosses.

If you are into exploiting cheap imported staff because they are desperate because there is no well paying work in their home county then you should fit right in.

The other option for the farmers is automation, if they had started 5 years ago the majority would be saving money using machines.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Training might not of been offered by the Gov but it was a permitted activity - I had an apprentice go on Furlough for 3mth last year - set up lots of training for her so skills improvement has happened in some areas
    excellent news, the apprentice is more valuable to you & others. I suspect you are unusual among employers.

In April they released training that was free to anyone who haven't got an NVQ level 3, personally I would have changed the furlough earlier so if they aren't training the employer has to pay a percentage (like in September) and any uk national (or paying uk tax) that is on furlough, unemployed or even working (a well trained workforce is worth the small investment) can study.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well if I had been Rishi I would be offering those on furlough access to remote training from the start. I would make future furlough payments loans against future company earnings notice period for those on furlough becomes 3 months. In 3 months many will be retrained.
    Training might not of been offered by the Gov but it was a permitted activity - I had an apprentice go on Furlough for 3mth last year - set up lots of training for her so skills improvement has happened in some areas

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

What a load of rowlocks, who do you think did them before 2004 then?
    Well, Brits haven't picked veg round our way for decades.

In recent years, some local farmers have tried hiring Brits but they found them to be unreliable and nowhere near as hard working as the foreign workers.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 30 June 2021, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    There are a lot of jobs which Brits simply won't do. Many of them are minimum wage but I'm not sure paying more would make that much difference.

This may partly explain why there are a lot of unfilled vacancies and yet unemployment is quite high.

I wonder what will happen when the furlough scheme ends in September? There must be quite a lot of people, currently on furlough, who won't have jobs to go back to.
    What a load of rowlocks, who do you think did them before 2004 then?

Raise the pay you will be surprised who will do them.

As a student I personally cleaned toilets in an old people's home, washed up in various restaurants, waited in various restaurants. I was agency so I got paid more than their full time staff which is part of why I did it.

Well if I had been Rishi I would be offering those on furlough access to remote training from the start. I would make future furlough payments loans against future company earnings notice period for those on furlough becomes 3 months. In 3 months many will be retrained.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    There are a lot of jobs which Brits simply won't do. Many of them are minimum wage but I'm not sure paying more would make that much difference.

This may partly explain why there are a lot of unfilled vacancies and yet unemployment is quite high.

I wonder what will happen when the furlough scheme ends in September? There must be quite a lot of people, currently on furlough, who won't have jobs to go back to.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

ohh I have a revolutionary idea. why not do a little training?

Maybe rather than demanding fully trained applicants for minimum wage take on some apprentices?

Maybe look to retrain within?

Succession planning and talent development is frequently talked about but rarely done.

The HR team that love to tell other people what to do might need a bit of help doing their job.

How many new staff have approached you in IT and explained they have absolutely no idea how their job works because there are no valid procedures?

If you want to be the big boss the make the big moves.

All they are trying to do here is get cheap labour again.
    That puzzled me as well you don't find many juniors in the companies around here(or at least not with that title)...they seemed more interested in getting someone from abroad with multiple years of experience, for cheap, than train someone locally.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

The skills shortage is a double edged sword. When you have a skills shortage companies have to scale back and this leads to more unemployment.
    ohh I have a revolutionary idea. why not do a little training?

Maybe rather than demanding fully trained applicants for minimum wage take on some apprentices?

Maybe look to retrain within?

Succession planning and talent development is frequently talked about but rarely done.

The HR team that love to tell other people what to do might need a bit of help doing their job.

How many new staff have approached you in IT and explained they have absolutely no idea how their job works because there are no valid procedures?

If you want to be the big boss the make the big moves.

All they are trying to do here is get cheap labour again.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

f we don’t act quickly now to help employers to fill jobs and the unemployed to take them up, then we could be setting a time bomb for next year of labor shortages, higher inflation and long-term unemployment,” said Tony Wilson, director of the Institute for Employment Studies, which released the report with Adzuna.

“We’ve got a perfect storm of factors coalescing,” said CBI President Lord Karan Bilimoria. “During the pandemic, many workers from overseas left the U.K. to return home. Meanwhile Covid has added major uncertainty.”

While firms struggle to fill jobs, more than 2 million people are struggling to find work, Adzuna and the Institute for Employment Studies said.

Long-term unemployment is rising despite the easing of restrictions

Some parts of the U.K. are disproportionately facing prospects of longer-term unemployment -- especially former industrial centers and inner cities where more than five unemployed people are chasing every job.

“Many of the people currently out of work aren’t matching up to the jobs on offer, despite an acute talent shortage,” said Andrew Hunter, co-founder of Adzuna. “This means many jobs are lying unfilled and accumulating, inflating overall hiring volumes.”
    The skills shortage is a double edged sword. When you have a skills shortage companies have to scale back and this leads to more unemployment.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

And who doesn't like a penguin?
    Russian penguins that migrate yearly to do their taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X