• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone met a racist remainer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I have met a lot of South Africans I have liked however when I went there to work I was shocked at how 1950s America it was with a Black nanny, waiters etc. The power was still in white hands. That may be a misunderstanding because it was a short visit. Though being told we will allocate you a driver because you can't go out alone, the office was gated as was the Hotel did make you think.

That was ~23 years ago so it also may well have improved.
    I was in Sandton (Jo'burg) a couple of times five years ago. Gated hotel, gated workplace. Quite safe to get taxis off the street, though walking wasn't recommended. When my card for the train wouldn't let me out at the airport, I asked the (black) armed guard for help. He shouldered his way to the front of the queue and told the ticket office there to open the gate for me. It did make me a feel a little uncomfortable.

Most of the managers were white at the offices I was working, but that was changing. The presence of black domestic staff is not a bad thing., I was told, as for many South Africans it's the only way they can have work.

Every South African I've met outside the country has been really nice - a bit crazy, especially the whites, but essentially decent. Every one I met within the country was pretty cool as well.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm a remainer. According to Vetran I'm a racist (although I'm not sure under what terms, but that's his view). So, to Vetran I'm a racist remainer

Re South Africa, I lived over there for 6 months. There are still some very racist individuals, mostly of Dutch Afrikaan heritage as apposed to English heritage (the Afrikaans don't like the English South Africans much).

J'burg and north is like apartheid never ended (we were based up in the waterburg, near Mokopane. We did spend a week in Cape Town though and that was such a stark contrast, very European feel and much more mixed. I have lots of stories I could bore you with regarding the Afrikaan white farmers - they have some very 'interesting' views on race!

And for those who question my safari guide training, as some have on here, this is me (in some dodgy shorts!!) learning to handle venomous snakes (this was a snouted cobra, one bite and I was in serious trouble). (the lady's voice in the background is my beautiful wife!)

Last edited by Whorty; 13 March 2021, 08:00.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Everyone who disagrees with Vetran about race matters and is a remainer is racist according to him....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Everyone who disagrees with Vetran about race matters and is a remainer is racist according to him....
          Are you suggesting that everywhere vetran goes has racists?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Damn, I thought it was just me, and I was special?

Comment

We did spend a week in Cape Town though and that was such a stark contrast, very European feel and much more mixed
              I was in Cape Town for a couple of days in the apartheid era, early 70s, and it seemed pretty unsegregated then. Cafes with all sorts in. Only saw one slegs blankes sign.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                I'm a remainer. According to Vetran I'm a racist (although I'm not sure under what terms, but that's his view). So, to Vetran I'm a racist remainer
                Hey if you use the colour of someone's skin to decide if they are telling the truth what should I call you?

Every accusation Meghan and Harry have made has been successfully countered with documentary proof. The only one that hasn't is that someone before / during (delete depending on whether it was Meghan or Harry's account) pregnancy a remark was made about how dark Archie would be once/many times (delete depending on whether it was Meghan or Harry's account). The Royal family have agreed to have this investigated.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

To be fair I never visited Cape town, I am glad to hear that is more enlightened the people need to live together now.

As mentioned I did see evidence of the native workers being developed, the site manager was a fairly enlightened white woman I think she was English SA but I never asked her accent was a lot softer than the technical bloke. All of the staff were really nice regardless of colour. My black driver was a great laugh and very attentive.

As I say the thing that got me was the way people behaved as if they were in 1950's America and that the deference was normal.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hey if you use the colour of someone's skin to decide if they are telling the truth what should I call you?
                    Interesting ...... can you quote where I have used someone's skin colour to decide if they are telling the truth?

I'm not aware that I have ever done that, either on a forum or real life, but I should most definitely be called up on it if I have.

Oh, and if you're going to suggest I'm racist against you then I'm afraid that can't be the case as you can't be racist against your own skin/race. In that case, you can refer to me as a t0sser, winker or other such term, but not racist
                    Last edited by Whorty; 15 March 2021, 08:35.

Comment

Every accusation Meghan and Harry have made has been successfully countered with documentary proof.
                      Oh yeah? Where?

Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Working...
                      X