• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

‘Slash and burn’ of EU rules ruled out post-Brexit

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ‘Slash and burn’ of EU rules ruled out post-Brexit

    “ Duncan Smith says reform group advising PM would seek ‘fast and sensible’ regulatory changes

    Boris Johnson’s adviser on regulatory reform, Iain Duncan Smith, has said he will not lead a “slash-and-burn exercise” when it comes to changing Britain’s post-Brexit rules.

    Duncan Smith’s comments chime with warnings from business leaders that they do not want the UK prime minister to oversee a “bonfire” of EU red tape and instead want to see him focus on ensuring the government becomes “nimbler” at making new rules.

    The idea of a post-Brexit conflagration, laying waste to what they see as stifling Brussels regulation, has been a staple of Eurosceptic discourse for years, but it is being quietly doused by the government.”

    Subscribe to read | Financial Times

    Ah so EU rules were not that bad after all...

    #2
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

    Ah so EU rules were not that bad after all...
    No but replacing them with knee jerk reactions would be bad.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by vetran View Post
      No but replacing them with knee jerk reactions would be bad.
      But, if you agree the rules were not bad, then why do they need replacing at all? Every rule reviewed, re-written and replaced will cost the UK economy, a cost I'd argue we probably don't want just now
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        But, if you agree the rules were not bad, then why do they need replacing at all? Every rule reviewed, re-written and replaced will cost the UK economy, a cost I'd argue we probably don't want just now

        Every rule that needs to be reviewed and revised may improve the UK economy's prospects. Its not good or bad just something that needs to be done when you end a relationship.

        An ex may have insisted you dressed in a certain way because she liked men in cardigans, or women in stockings now you can switch to lycra and tights if you want. You now decide, you might decide you like cardigans but you should think about it.
        "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

        I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Every rule that needs to be reviewed and revised may improve the UK economy's prospects. Its not good or bad just something that needs to be done when you end a relationship.

          An ex may have insisted you dressed in a certain way because she liked men in cardigans, or women in stockings now you can switch to lycra and tights if you want. You now decide, you might decide you like cardigans but you should think about it.
          How do you know I wear stockings and cardigans ... I don't recall sharing that on here Did you hack my YouTube channel?
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            How do you know I wear stockings and cardigans ... I don't recall sharing that on here Did you hack my YouTube channel?

            It was obvious once we saw the beard!
            "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

            I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by vetran View Post
              It was obvious once we saw the beard!
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by vetran View Post
                No but replacing them with knee jerk reactions would be bad.
                4 years after it vote, and many years of advocating for it before - why that was not enough time to have specific much better than EU laws to be enacted on day 1?

                Simple true answer is that they don’t exist because there ain’t any easy obvious laws that can suddenly make post-Brexit better, it was a all a lie and cretins like you bought it

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  4 years after it vote, and many years of advocating for it before - why that was not enough time to have specific much better than EU laws to be enacted on day 1?

                  Simple true answer is that they don’t exist because there ain’t any easy obvious laws that can suddenly make post-Brexit better, it was a all a lie and cretins like you bought it

                  We have centuries of experience with murder & abuse why do we not have laws that deal completely with those?

                  We have 1.5 months experience of no longer being in the EU maybe its worth waiting a few days before we rip it all up?
                  "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                  I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    We have 1.5 months experience of no longer being in the EU maybe its worth waiting a few days before we rip it all up?
                    What prevented writing those wonderful new laws even before ref in 2016?

                    I know what did - they would not be much different than under EUSSR rule.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X