• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could Brexit signal the end of the road for second-home owners in Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“ Living on a stunning Cyclades Island, in a sugar cube house with sweeping views of the Aegean Sea, was a dream come true for novelist David Young from Twickenham, when he settled on the Greek island of Syros several years ago. Like thousands of second-home owners in Greece – and elsewhere in Europe – however, David’s dream could turn into a nightmare on January 1, 2021 when Schengen rules, limiting the amount of time he can spend in his foreign bolthole, come into force.

“Like me, many Brits divide their lives between two countries, but after Brexit – unless they apply for full residency in the EU country where they’ve bought their property, pay taxes there, and lose their NHS provision back home – second-home owners will be limited to stays of a maximum of 90 days,” says David, who set up Facebook group 180 Days in Greece to help fellow Britons affected by the new regulations. ”

Comments don’t have much sympathy...

Yes, for many. But it is this that will really stick the knife in:

Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 - GOV.UK

4 month process instead of rocking up to the Chunnel.

Comment

Put it on AirBnB for the other 6 months a year?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

People buy property in Switzerland thinking it'll entitle them to live here. It doesn't. But you can get a 3 month tourist visa.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          People buy property in Switzerland thinking it'll entitle them to live here. It doesn't. But you can get a 3 month tourist visa.
          So its like then just buy 4 houses, right Gov?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            So its like then just buy 4 houses, right Gov?
            Sure, Tell yourself that, princess.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

“ and lose their NHS provision back home –
              second home owners depending on the NHS? Anyone with some income and capital has a private insurance,

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                What if you're Phil Collins?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  second home owners depending on the NHS? Anyone with some income and capital has a private insurance,
                  Yeah, private insurance... oh wait - the Govt seconded private hospitals to support Nhs and in any case Nhs doctors often do the private operations...

Say my private insurance costs me 300-400 per month, a lot less than car insurance which is kind of telling that I should not expect much (from both)

Comment

Yeah, private insurance... oh wait - the Govt seconded private hospitals to support Nhs and in any case Nhs doctors often do the private operations...

Say my private insurance costs me 300-400 per month, a lot less than car insurance which is kind of telling that I should not expect much (from both)
                    I'm somewhat surprised your car insurance is less than that. Walls cost a fortune to rebuild, y'know...

Comment

Working...
                    X