• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh no! The end of UK car production!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no! The end of UK car production!

Jaguar Land Rover to announce electric car investment - BBC News

There are many problems associated with electric cars, some engineering, some social, some infrastructure and perhaps most significantly, affordability. Any unbiased commentator can't fail to notice these, but once again we have HMG rhetoric and propaganda covering up the issues which counter policy.

Toyota and Mazda don't appear to be completely buying into the electric idea. They have joined forces to develop a petrol engine which fires on compression, like a diesel engine does, and which is more economical than a diesel and cleaner than both diesel and petrol. If one of the World's largest car manufactures is investing in this type of technology, then the we should take note.

I can't see electric motorbikes taking off somehow!

Comment

Less than 1% of vehicles are electric and I'm sceptical that there will be a boom. They've been predicting this for the last 20 years, and I don't see any significant improvements to electric cars from 20 years ago. I think only hybrid cars will be practical.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

But last week Brexiteers were telling us that the reason Ford was closing down int he UK was because they were going to produce electric cars with subsidies in Eastern Europe.
        So are we now saying that the UK is a viable place to produce electric cars, and that the spin about Ford's reason for pulling out might not be 100% right?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          I've got a big single cylinder thumper. Part of the thrill for me is when you give it a fistful and that deep, throaty grunt lets rip.

Who wants to ride something that sounds like a sewing machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            I've got a big single cylinder thumper. Part of the thrill for me is when you give it a fistful and that deep, throaty grunt lets rip.

Who wants to ride something that sounds like a sewing machine?
            "I've got a big single cylinder thumper"

I have two, one BSA DB34 Gold Star Catalina and the other a BSA DBD34 Gold Star Clubmans

"Part of the thrill for me is when you give it a fistful and that deep, throaty grunt lets rip"

when I've restored them, they will emit a glorious whistle on the over run!

"Who wants to ride something that sounds like a sewing machine?"

absolutely!

I don't think Mr. Honda is particularly impressed with the suggestion of electric bikes somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              But last week Brexiteers were telling us that the reason Ford was closing down int he UK was because they were going to produce electric cars with subsidies in Eastern Europe.
              So are we now saying that the UK is a viable place to produce electric cars, and that the spin about Ford's reason for pulling out might not be 100% right?
              Note the Jaguar I-Pace is made in Graz, Austria.

Comment

You're right, electric Jaguars and Landrovers will see the end of their production.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  You're right, electric Jaguars and Landrovers will see the end of their production.
                  I tend to think so too, if only based on cost and affordability by the populace. The I-pace is over £60000 and attracts the over £40000 tax levy. Clearly HMG has got its messages wrong. The I-pace is all electric and attracts a vehicle tax of more than twice what my "dirty" 3 litre diesel attracts. So much for saving the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

Toyota and Mazda don't appear to be completely buying into the electric idea. They have joined forces to develop a petrol engine which fires on compression, like a diesel engine does, and which is more economical than a diesel and cleaner than both diesel and petrol. If one of the World's largest car manufactures is investing in this type of technology, then the we should take note.

Electric Vehicle Toyota Motor Europe

Toyota to accelerate the popularization of battery electric vehicles with more than 10 models available in world markets by the early 2020s.
                    MAZDA: Electric Vehicle | Environmental Technology

ZERO MOTORCYCLES – The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

The 8 Best Electric Motorcycles | Improb
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X