• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory party members happy to destroy the UK to get Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    FTFY

To a large extend life seems more expensive nowadays, because there is a lot more considered "essential" that didn't even exist 50 years ago.

In any case none of it has anything to do with the UK EU membership, since contrary to the popular belief we have always had control.
    "because there is a lot more considered "essential" that didn't even exist 50 years ago"

agreed.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    In your opinion were they cheaper because we were not in the EU?
    I didn't say that.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    what I'm spouting today is that I guess there are many young people of today who would wish that many of what you might consider to be the "essentials" of every day life today, were relatively cheaper pre EU days.
    So.

It's expensive to live in Hong Kong. It's expensive to live in Singapore. It's expensive to live in Melbourne. It's expensive in Iceland.

None of these places are are in the EU.

Fact is, the world has become expensive. As the divide between 'rich' and 'poor' has reduced, more people can aspire (and do) own property. This has been going on around the globe since the 70's.

Then it's a simple case of supply and demand Oh, and the fact that there are billions more now than 1960 (3 billion then, 7.7 billion now). The world hasn't got any bigger so there is more demand for the scarce resources.

Idiot.

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    There's no contention about it, it was cheaper. There were council houses, most rented properties weren't privately owned. Going to university didn't require a loan, in fact you were given a grant. Kids got free school meals. etc. The EU didn't change any of that.

Companies were sold to shareholders. Shareholders demand profits and generally aren't interested in money being invested in "manufacturing", so sell off and outsource to the cheapest option to keep the shareholders happy and to make sure the funds are there for the pension pots of the board.

Perhaps the pining is for Victorian days, when women didn't vote, etc. Or maybe it's the idea of harking back to "The War" by people who didn't fight in it and show more support for the axis powers than for the allies.
    Most men didn't have the vote back then either. It was just landowners, and now instead of the vote it's retirement that only landowners are getting.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    what I'm spouting today is that I guess there are many young people of today who would wish that many of what you might consider to be the "essentials" of every day life today, were relatively cheaper didn't even exist in pre EU days.
    FTFY

To a large extend life seems more expensive nowadays, because there is a lot more considered "essential" that didn't even exist 50 years ago.

In any case none of it has anything to do with the UK EU membership, since contrary to the popular belief we have always had control.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    what I'm spouting today is that I guess there are many young people of today who would wish that many of what you might consider to be the "essentials" of every day life today, were relatively cheaper pre EU days.
    In your opinion were they cheaper because we were not in the EU?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    No, I was thinking more like those who claim that "studies have been done that all poor people deserve to be poor and just need to accept it" or whatever it is that you are spouting today.
    "studies have been done that all poor people deserve to be poor and just need to accept it"

I didn't say that. However, it doesn't seem to be PC these days to ask why they are poor. You can make up your own mind about that.

"whatever it is that you are spouting today"

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    I don't think anyone claims that the EU is the best thing ever, but it is certainly not the cause and 100% to blame for everything that is not perfect in this world. Contrary to the opinions of some.
    You hide behind that quite a lot, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    No you do not understand.

The EU has been a benefit to everyone.

And if you do not believe that we shall send you for re-education.

There is no discussion, there is no argument.
    Isn't it an odd feature of this totalitarian state that you describe, that the press is able to freely criticise the EU, even to the extent of publishing falsehoods about the EU?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    No you do not understand.

The EU has been a benefit to everyone.

And if you do not believe that we shall send you for re-education.

There is no discussion, there is no argument.

I don't think anyone claims that the EU is the best thing ever, but it is certainly not the cause and 100% to blame for everything that is not perfect in this world. Contrary to the opinions of some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X