• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember Britain will have its own GPS system after Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember Britain will have its own GPS system after Brexit?

Well actually, no. There are no frequencies available as they have been scooped up by others

UK plans for satellite navigation system in doubt after Brexit

LMAOROFL

Goodbye modern age, welcome Victorian times

So we can still use the public signal, we can still use the US military grade encrypted signal, but if the US went to war with us, and Europe was on the US side, we might be in trouble?

How many straws are you clutching at right now?

Comment

Leave the poor dumkopf cloggy alone, you nasty person

Comment

Indeed the UK won't really be in the position to fund a new satellite system better to simply pay for the US GPS system, shrink the UK space industry and relocate the surplus staff into fruit farms and the fishing industry.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Indeed the UK won't really be in the position to fund a new satellite system better to simply pay for the US GPS system, shrink the UK space industry and relocate the surplus staff into fruit farms and the fishing industry.
          Enemy of the people! Traitor!
          Of course the UK will develop from scratch a shiny new system, not to mention having the best NHS, army, police and roads in the world.
          All funded by the special magical Brexit money tree.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            So we can still use the public signal, we can still use the US military grade encrypted signal, but if the US went to war with us, and Europe was on the US side, we might be in trouble?

This was one of the flagship arguments for brexit We will have our own GPS of course you single brain celled brexidiots don't remember that

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Well actually, no. There are no frequencies available as they have been scooped up by others

UK plans for satellite navigation system in doubt after Brexit

LMAOROFL

Goodbye modern age, welcome Victorian times
              We don't need a UK satellite navigation system because we have one inch maps

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That's my take on it too, but then, I'm a stupid delusional remainer - who won't be materially affected regardless.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  We don't need a UK satellite navigation system because we have one inch maps...
                  Nothing wrong with OS maps - I still use them as my navigational option of choice*

None of that SatNav rubbish

* current ones though
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    That's my take on it too, but then, I'm a stupid delusional remainer - who won't be materially affected regardless.
                    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                    Nothing wrong with OS maps - I still use them as my navigational option of choice*

None of that SatNav rubbish

* current ones though
                    Indeed, GPS/Sat Nav should never be relied upon as a sole source for navigation.

Relying on the signals from GPS/Glonass maybe OK for general use but Joe public does not has access to all the features.

Galileo is a far more accurate system and there will be a greater opportunity to sell the enhanced services and license systems with the enhanced accuracy. The UK has been left in the sh1^ with this one; no doubt because the politicians don't understand what they are losing.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X