• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Bollocks. You can say that about any election or any other poll result.

Meanwhile, back in reality...
    That's why we have elections every 4 years, but for some brexidiot reason this cannot apply to referenda, because that would be undemocratic.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Has it occurred to you that quite a few of the Remain camp are now on the side of the Exit one, having got a little older and a little wiser? Personally I would resist a second poll that may be affected by a bunch of 19 year olds who get their opinions fed them by social media and assorted brain dead celebrities.

Also the ones they're talking about dying off are the ones who were conned into voting for the EEC in the 70s, who are still pretty much alive an kicking now, so I don't believe there would be a big enough shift to affed a second poll, not that there's going to be one.

If you want to kick off at somebody, ignore the referendum - that's dead and gone - and have a go at the various self-centred political pygmies who are doing their best to prevent us getting any kind of a sensible deal so they can promote their own career and f*** everyone else: in fact, they already have. The main outcome of the negotiations to date has been to highlight just how non-accountable and self-centred the so-called EU government really is.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Surely, if this is correct (and even though I'm a remainer I am sceptical), then the will of the people would be a reversal of Brexit. Brexiters are clearly scared that next time the youth will turn out in force, unlike the 1st ref, and they know that they will lose next time

Unfortunately I don't think a 52/48 reversal in the voting is enough to warrant a 2nd ref, but that's only my view .... if the will of the people is another ref then who am I to argue

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Heard the CEO of YouGov on the radio saying that according to their calculations, over the last two years the number of older, mainly Brexit voters who have died, and the number of younger, mainly Remain voters who have reached voting age means that a poll today would return a result 52/48 in favour of Remain.

So 'it's the will of the people' would no longer seem to apply.
    The "will of the people" never applied. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    started a topic Democracy

Democracy

Heard the CEO of YouGov on the radio saying that according to their calculations, over the last two years the number of older, mainly Brexit voters who have died, and the number of younger, mainly Remain voters who have reached voting age means that a poll today would return a result 52/48 in favour of Remain.

So 'it's the will of the people' would no longer seem to apply.

Working...
X