• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daiwa, bye bye UK, hello Frankfurt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yeah, it’s like them handful of troops landing in Normandy - not exactlya full scale invasion, right?

You need to work on your metaphors. This one really doesn't work, and on so many levels...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I am imagining the 5-10 years staffing levels will be the other way around, but of course my crystal ball may be broken, but that’s too far in the future for a Brexiteer to think?

FTFY

My understanding is that Paris & Frankfurt have been competing with London for decades yet they are still way behind on Global trade, they may take some of the EU business but its not sure.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        You need to work on your metaphors. This one really doesn't work, and on so many levels...

Its more like a production forecast in a tractor factory!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          My understanding is that Paris & Frankfurt have been competing with London for decades yet they are still way behind on Global trade, they may take some of the EU business but its not sure.
          Yes, they are behind, so they've got room to grow, ambition and political will of the EU to make it happen.

London will probably go back to where it was in the 70s, with some luck it won't be 1670.

Comment

Yes, they are behind, so they've got room to grow, ambition and political will of the EU to make it happen.

London will probably go back to where it was in the 70s, with some luck it won't be 1670.
            When are you relocating to the continent?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Forget the EU the attack will come from the East. Even the most rabid left wing paper thinks so.

Will London survive as a financial centre after Brexit? | Business | The Guardian

On these measures, London and New York continue to do well. The latest Global Financial Centres Index, published last month by Z/Yen, shows that London remains at the top of the league, marginally ahead of New York.But the ratings of both have declined sharply over the last year, and the gap between them and third-place Singapore, more than 30 points last year, is only 20 this year. Indeed, almost all of the Asian centres have lifted their ratings, with Beijing rising the fastest, moving from 26th to 16th place.
              If we look specifically at Europe, the only other financial centre in the global top 20 is Luxembourg, which creeps in at 18, six places lower than last year. Frankfurt, at 23, fell four places this year, and Paris has been stuck at 29 for the last couple of surveys. So London has a huge lead in Europe.

so neither Paris nor Frankfurt have managed to gain any ground (in fact Germany lost some) despite 2 years of very public uncertainty.

Public Reports

- Long Finance

so apparently New York is seeing the Brexit effect.

Not for the first time, New York took first place in the index, just two points head of London, although both centres fell slightly in the ratings. Hong Kong is now only three points (on a scale of 1,000) behind London. Shanghai overtook Tokyo to move into fifth place, gaining 25 points in the ratings. Beijing, Zurich, and Frankfurt moved into the top ten centres, replacing Toronto, Boston, and San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                When are you relocating to the continent?
                When I deem it necessary - I can move in one day with a laptop and buy everything I need on location

Comment

When I deem it necessary - I can move in one day with a laptop and buy everything I need on location
                  You should consider Lisbon, it has a good startup scene (hence the requisite talent), excellent tax concessions for business, nice weather (hurricane yesterday notwthstanding) and people, low cost of living.
                  Just got the keys to our flat there, close to the Foreign Ministry and with a view to the Tagus. Currently arranging utilities etc which is difficult at a distance.
                  If you want to borrow it to assess the situation (it will probably be ready from next year) let me know. Seriously.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You should consider Lisbon, it has a good startup scene (hence the requisite talent), excellent tax concessions for business, nice weather (hurricane yesterday notwthstanding) and people, low cost of living.
                    Just got the keys to our flat there, close to the Foreign Ministry and with a view to the Tagus. Currently arranging utilities etc which is difficult at a distance.
                    If you want to borrow it to assess the situation (it will probably be ready from next year) let me know. Seriously.
                    Can he have the keys to the (mythical)Hyabusa?

After all to a meeelionaire like yourself it wouldn't matter if the gormless tit crashed it, would it?

On a serious note, couldn't you have PM'd the offer to him?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      Can he have the keys to the (mythical)Hyabusa?

After all to a meeelionaire like yourself it wouldn't matter if the gormless tit crashed it, would it?

On a serious note, couldn't you have PM'd the offer to him?
                      Sorry just showing orf.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X