• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grayling the Transport Minister and Brexiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    If we exit with no deal, why do you think your driving licence and car insurance are still valid in an EU member state?
    In preparation for Brexit it is my understanding that the UK Government is intent on ratifying the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic - the UK is already signed up but hasn't as yet ratified the agreement.

Oh and I almost forgot…

<cough>the Green Card</cough>
    Last edited by Zigenare; 16 August 2018, 10:28.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      In preparation for Brexit it is my understanding that the UK Government is intent on ratifying the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic - the UK is already signed up but hasn't as yet ratified the agreement.
      Cool, I had to look that up. Where in that convention does it discuss licensing of people, as opposed to vehicles?

Comment

Oh and I almost forgot…

<cough>the Green Card</cough>
        I’ll answer my own question. The convention allows the U.K. to issue International Drivers Permits.

So, to summarise and answer oPMs question, he will not be able to just drive into France.

He needs an IDP and a green card.

Agreed?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          No right.

So lets say i own a shop which sells say sledges.

Someone from France orders 20 sledges - can i not put them in my car and drive them to the buyer?

You can, but not if you are driving a vehicle over 3.5 Tonnes.

At that point you need :

Standard International Operator’s Licence for road transport
          Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC)
          A vocational driving licence.

If you were delivering on behalf of someone else, rather than your own business you also need a Community Licence.

All the above are issued in the UK and recognised by EU countries as they are issued by a member state. Once we leave that recognition is no longer valid. You will need to have bilateral paper work in place for every country you deliver to or drive across.

EU Hauliers will only need to get bilateral paperwork in place with the UK to be able to operate in the UK when making deliveries or collecting goods for shipment, making it much easier for them to operate here than for UK hauliers to operate across Europe.

Unless Grayling pulls his finger out and gets an agreement in place with the EU to continue to accept UK documentation the UK haulage industry will be stuffed come 2019.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            I’ll answer my own question. The convention allows the U.K. to issue International Drivers Permits.

So, to summarise and answer oPMs question, he will not be able to just drive into France.

He needs an IDP and a green card.

Agreed?
            Nope, not agreed. We don't as yet fully know what will be required after we've thrown off the yoke of oppression.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              well we have imported enough organised gangs, maybe we can compete with their corruption figures?

We know we have enough Fat Mommas and their mummy's boys, your family are a great example
              I think you'll find the fatness and laziness within your poorly-educated Brexit-voting chav family.
              I'm not really from that milieu.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I think you'll find the fatness and laziness within your poorly-educated Brexit-voting chav family.
                I'm not really from that milieu.
                Yeah but you smell of wee!

Zig - In "bringing the conversation down to sasguru's level" mode!

Comment

Nope, not agreed. We don't as yet fully know what will be required after we've thrown off the yoke of oppression.
                  Suit yourself, but in the context of this thread (a no deal Brexit) we do know what will happen. It’s laid out in the laws and treaties that we have.

Comment

I can't think of a single way in which the EU was oppressing me. Not one.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 16 August 2018, 10:58.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah but you smell of wee!

Zig - In "bringing the conversation down to sasguru's level" mode!
                      That's not far enough down. Keep going.

Comment

Working...
                      X