• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ray Bassett - On Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Bassett - On Brexit

Was in the emerald isle over the weekend.

Culled the following from the Sunday Business Post...

Originally posted by SBP
    Ray Bassett - On Brexit

Now that Europe has shown its hand by rejecting the Chequers White Paper, we must go our own way or face the consequences.

It is a difficult time for the Irish government. The EU strategy on Brexit, the one basket where we placed all our eggs, has failed. The project of forcing Britain to either reverse the process or accept a watered-down version, has now clearly come to an end. It had all the hallmarks of a crash or crash-through approach. The crash-through did not happen. The discussions have essentially reached an impasse.

The two sides continue to make polite noises and speak of ongoing negotiations, but there is no real basis for an agreement on the previous lines.

The British establishment, which was working hand in glove with Brussels, also now realises that its preferred soft options are simply unattainable. Hence, the increasingly strident campaign from Remainers such as Tony Blair, the House of Lords and the London Independent newspaper to paint as bleak a picture of a post-Brexit Britain as possible. Watch out for even more personal attacks on the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for failing to follow the establishment line. The Taoiseach even chimed in on this with his ill-judged comments about cutting our air links with Britain, something which would be much more injurious to Ireland than to Britain.
    Full article here... Subscribe for full article

An interesting view from the Republic.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Ray Bassett - On Brexit

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Was in the emerald isle over the weekend.

Culled the following from the Sunday Business Post...

Full article here... Subscribe for full article

An interesting view from the Republic.
    One man’s view from the Republic, which is
    a. about as far from the view of the majority of people in Ireland as you can get;
    b. full of the usual errors and misinformation that it may as well have been published in the Daily Mail
    c. offering nothing in detail except “Ireland should leave the EU”.

Did you speak to anyone else while you were there? What was their view?
    Last edited by meridian; 15 August 2018, 07:08.

Comment

The British establishment now realises that its preferred soft options are simply unattainable
      I don't think this is true. A Brexit friend of mine was over at the weekend. He was quoting some private remark from a sidekick of David Davis. Clearly what the 'establishment' believe is the EU will cave in towards the end of the year and offer us a cake-and-eat-it sweetheart deal of some kind. He was not prepared to speculate on what deal could possibly be viable and I thought it pointless to pursue this.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        I don't think this is true. A Brexit friend of mine was over at the weekend. He was quoting some private remark from a sidekick of David Davis. Clearly what the 'establishment' believe is the EU will cave in towards the end of the year and offer us a cake-and-eat-it sweetheart deal of some kind. He was not prepared to speculate on what deal could possibly be viable and I thought it pointless to pursue this.
        “The establishment” is shorthand for remainers (it’s the propaganda used to take everyone’s eyes off the fact that JRM, Johnson, and other multimillionaire Brexit backers are more establishment...).

So if you read the sentence in that way, I think that it appears to be saying that remainers have come to the conclusion that their preferred soft options of EEA / EFTA are no longer available, which is why (in his opinion) the remainer focus has now shifted to the damage that a hard Brexit would do.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          One man’s view from the Republic, which is
          a. about as far from the view of the majority of people in Ireland as you can get;
          b. full of the usual errors and misinformation that it may as well have been published in the Daily Mail
          c. offering nothing in detail except “Ireland should leave the EU”.

Did you speak to anyone else while you were there? What was their view?
          Yes I did speak to a few people, obviously not the whole population of the Republic so I can't - unlike yourself - make assumptions.

A few think that Brexit won't happen. Some thought that Britain was subject to friction by the EU so that other nations would see how difficult Brussels can make things for countries that decide to leave.

An interesting observation though. I went to the ATM a couple of times over the weekend. The first time on Friday to withdraw 400 Euro - The machine dispensed 8x50 Euro notes!

When was the last time you saw a British ATM chuck out a £50 note?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Bassett has been calling for Ireland to leave the EU since early 2017 and repeats it every time he gets a chance to.
            https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-35336131.html

https://policyexchange.org.uk/public...-next-to-exit/

https://www.conservativehome.com/pla...e-stopped.html

Self-publicist repeating his views often enough in the hope that others sign up to them.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes I did speak to a few people, obviously not the whole population of the Republic so I can't - unlike yourself - make assumptions.

A few think that Brexit won't happen. Some thought that Britain was subject to friction by the EU so that other nations would see how difficult Brussels can make things for countries that decide to leave.

An interesting observation though. I went to the ATM a couple of times over the weekend. The first time on Friday to withdraw 400 Euro - The machine dispensed 8x50 Euro notes!

When was the last time you saw a British ATM chuck out a £50 note?
              I’m not making assumptions, literally half my family is Irish and I speak to them most weeks. Maybe that’s a bubble, but given that in the last poll over 90% of Irish thought that staying in the EU was a good thing I think it’s fairly representative.

My observation is that none of them think that Brexit is going to be good for Ireland (good for the IFSC perhaps, but not Ireland as a whole) but that membership of the EU has overall been good for them.

Yeah, it’s a bit odd landing at Dublin airport, getting out a wad of 50’s at the airport, and then trying to convince a taxi driver to take one...

Comment

I’m not making assumptions, literally half my family is Irish and I speak to them most weeks. Maybe that’s a bubble, but given that in the last poll over 90% of Irish thought that staying in the EU was a good thing I think it’s fairly representative.

My observation is that none of them think that Brexit is going to be good for Ireland (good for the IFSC perhaps, but not Ireland as a whole) but that membership of the EU has overall been good for them.

Yeah, it’s a bit odd landing at Dublin airport, getting out a wad of 50’s at the airport, and then trying to convince a taxi driver to take one...
                What's not to like? Ireland used to pay in 3 quid and get 5 back out!

Comment

What's not to like? Ireland used to pay in 3 quid and get 5 back out!
                  They did, which improved things massively since the 80’s / 90’s. But that’s a fairly myopic view on its own.

Comment

They did, which improved things massively since the 80’s / 90’s. But that’s a fairly myopic view on its own.
                    If as you say you have family that's Irish, you will have noticed that some of them are ******* devious when it comes to money, as the current NAMA stock list will show...

Comment

Working...
                    X