• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets slam "food stockpiling" suggestion by government.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Pretty sure 1 term of Corbyn will quickly remove that notion.
    That 1 term that will last 30 glorious years!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      https://news.sky.com/story/supermark...rexit-11451049

"Industry has not been approached by government to begin planning for this.
      Retailers do not have the facilities to house stockpiled goods and in the case of fresh produce, it is simply not possible to do so.
      Our food supply chains are extremely fragile and this is yet further demonstration of the need for an agreement on the backstop to ensure frictionless trade is maintained after the 29 March 2019."

You gotta laugh
      Of course we're all going to starve, all our food comes from the EU, and if we upset the dunk twat he'll confiscate the keys to all the lorries. Oh, but I've just enjoyed a lovely meal of Scottish Salmon, Cornish potatoes, and British spinach, with a sauce made of British cream and dill from the garden. All washed down with a very nice glass of NZ sauvignon blanc. I can't vouch for the lemon, which may well have been EU sourced, I may just have to do without in future. I don't know how you manage it, but you give tiresome twats a seriously bad name...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Of course we're all going to starve, all our food comes from the EU, and if we upset the dunk twat he'll confiscate the keys to all the lorries. Oh, but I've just enjoyed a lovely meal of Scottish Salmon, Cornish potatoes, and British spinach, with a sauce made of British cream and dill from the garden. All washed down with a very nice glass of NZ sauvignon blanc. I can't vouch for the lemon, which may well have been EU sourced, I may just have to do without in future. I don't know how you manage it, but you give tiresome twats a seriously bad name...
        I was going to say you really can't be this stupid, but the evidence says otherwise.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I was going to say you really can't be this stupid, but the evidence says otherwise.
            What is this "evidence" of which you speak, oh great Master?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What is this "evidence" of which you speak, oh great Master?
              Pretty much everything you post. HTH.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No cavalry is coming over the hill so just lie back and think of England.

Of course we're all going to starve, all our food comes from the EU, and if we upset the dunk twat he'll confiscate the keys to all the lorries.
                People will continue to support Brexit whilst all this abject nonsense is being pedalled.

The delays to vehicles crossing the border are of the order of minutes rather than hours. True, that creates queues on the M20 but are you going to notice vegetables that are minutes older than they are today when you go into Tesco?

The likes of Tesco, and for that matter Airbus/BMW etc, don't like the idea of 'stockpiling' but that's because they're going to have to spend millions on new warehouses. It's not good - Brexit was never going to be good - but it's just a ballsache they'll have to deal with. It's not a show stopper. They only say it to try and frighten people into backing BRINO. They're like everyone else - they don't want to suffer the damage of Brexit but they need to accept it's going to happen, and stop whingeing.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  People will continue to support Brexit whilst all this abject nonsense is being pedalled.

The delays to vehicles crossing the border are of the order of minutes rather than hours. True, that creates queues on the M20 but are you going to notice vegetables that are minutes older than they are today when you go into Tesco?

The likes of Tesco, and for that matter Airbus/BMW etc, don't like the idea of 'stockpiling' but that's because they're going to have to spend millions on new warehouses. It's not good - Brexit was never going to be good - but it's just a ballsache they'll have to deal with. It's not a show stopper. They only say it to try and frighten people into backing BRINO. They're like everyone else - they don't want to suffer the damage of Brexit but they need to accept it's going to happen, and stop whingeing.
                  Tesco might have to and then pass the costs on to the consumer but the likes of Airbus/BMW/etc. don't, they can quite easily move their manufacturing abroad instead of further investment in something that they have never needed and don't particularly want
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    the likes of Airbus/BMW/etc. don't, they can quite easily move their manufacturing abroad instead of further investment in something that they have never needed and don't particularly want
                    Airbus chose the UK for wing manufacture because they were impressed with our capability (back in the 60s/70s). True, there are constantly issues with wing production quality but to attempt to move that to somewhere like Slovakia would be a mammoth challenge. I'm not sure why you think BMW 'don't want' Mini and Hams Hall. Brexit threatens to make life tricky for them (there must be hundreds and hundreds of lorries crossing the border every day carrying parts back and forth) but if any of us on here were offerred the role of Programme Manager to adjust their business model, I bet most would think it do-able.

(I know I tried to explain this before -although Meridan didn't seem to get it - but companies don't operate in the UK - or anywhere else - simply because it is cost effective or because it makes a profit. Au contraire. Airbus and BMW sell a lot of expensive product into the UK. So they make a lot of profit. They can elect to trim that profit by having manufacturing that offsets against their CT. Personally I would suspect that kind of thinking is the only reason BMW are in Cowley. They got badly burnt with Rover and went away with a bad opinion of the British as car makers)
                    Last edited by Cirrus; 1 August 2018, 09:18.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

There's a strange droning sound, like something is on permanent repeat. It seems to be coming from the other side of the Channel, via CUK.

Comment

Working...
                      X