• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To the foaming mad Brexiters crying foul that democracy has been thwarted...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
    You can find out if it's true or not by reading a bit further down the article...
    I suspect they will quietly up their contributions like they did last time, they need NATO, the non existent EU army only wins fights in Brothels so long as none of the charities turn up.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
      You can find out if it's true or not by reading a bit further down the article...
      To be fair to myself, the article has been updated and I think at the time the following sentence followed the one I quoted;
      "No other country has confirmed any increased commitments as yet."

Hence my use of the word 'if' in my original post.

Still, I guess Macron has effectively confirmed, that the EU as a whole will have to up spending on defence, ~6.6% of EU GDP.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        What, you think I should have included an assumption that states currently spending over 2% will reduce their spending?

I was merely pointing out, that if all EU NATO countries met their spending commitments (2% of gdp), then the debt to gdp of the EU would be ~6.6% higher, than it currently stands at.
        No I think it is this bit you got wrong:

That being said, what if Trump demands all the other NATO members contribute at least 2% of GDP? - I believe that tips it the other way, given that only 3 EU countries currently spend >=2% of GDP on defence...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          No I think it is this bit you got wrong:
          Oh I see, sorry, yes quite possibly - but the figures I saw stated Lithuania spending was estimated to be at ~1.77% (Possibly for 2017 - are your figures for 2018?).

So a difference of 0.29%, ok so, ~6.3% of GDP spending is now required, before the whole EU is meeting the NATO 'club' defence spending requirements.
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Oh I see, sorry, yes quite possibly - but the figures I saw stated Lithuania spending was estimated to be at ~1.77% (Possibly for 2017 - are your figures for 2018?).

So a difference of 0.29%, ok so, ~6.3% of GDP spending is now required, before the whole EU is meeting the NATO 'club' defence spending requirements.
            But its still a very small percentage of the club members who pay their full green fees.

Typical whingers complaining they have to pay their way, as we know its perfectly unreasonable for the US to demand they pay! What cretins the US must be....

I bet they would be the same if the US demanded they settled their bar bill.

I suppose in the divorce France & Germany will demand their Uniforms & a few tanks for free?

I really don't know why you thick as mince remainers can't understand something as simple as this and demand special treatment for protection of your Croissant, Bratwurst & Olive oil futures??

any analogies I missed?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

To be fair to myself, the article has been updated and I think at the time the following sentence followed the one I quoted;
              "No other country has confirmed any increased commitments as yet."

Hence my use of the word 'if' in my original post.

Still, I guess Macron has effectively confirmed, that the EU as a whole will have to up spending on defence, ~6.6% of EU GDP.
              Maybe I’m missing something, but how could every EU country increasing their defence expenditure to 2% add up to 6.6% of GDP?

By definition, it is still 2% overall?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Maybe I’m missing something, but how could every EU country increasing their defence expenditure to 2% add up to 6.6% of GDP?

By definition, it is still 2% overall?
                It’s + 0.5% overall for NATO members, approx. Not 6.6%
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I do remember this warning:

UK to go to the back of the queue

It's not so much that the UK will go to the back of the queue as have the door slammed in its face.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 July 2018, 06:52.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I do remember this warning:

UK to go to the back of the queue

It's not so much that the UK will go to the back of the queue as have the door slammed in its face.
                    You need to put the Brexiter spin on that:
                    This is only happening because the proposal is not a hard Brexit. It’s the EU’s fault.

But the realist would say:
                    Trump is disappointed that the US will not be able to treat the UK as a vassal state.

Comment

It's amazing how data varies depending on where you look. Trading Economics says Lithuania are spending 1.96% on defence, NATO says it 1.72%.
                      But I'm still intrigued - your figure of 6.6% - did you just add up all the % differences? If so, you're doing the sums incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
                      X