• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Ireland is unimportant to Brexit supporters.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Surprised if you expect the answer to be anything other that not very many at all. I've been coming to Ireland regularly for >20 years and living here for the last 3 years and have never met anyone who thinks such a thing.
    How many different people do you estimate you've met over there in >20 years? = A
    How many people regularly reside/live in RoI? = B

What is the answer to the following equation, using your answers to the above questions as the figures - [(A/B)*100] ? = C

Now, do you believe the following C (%) is significant enough, for you to assert anything?

I doubt you'll answer and I further doubt the answer to the question above will be yes
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      How many different people do you estimate you've met over there in >20 years? = A

What is the answer to the following equation, using your answers to the above questions as the figures - [(A/B)*100] ? = C

Now, do you believe the following C (%) is significant enough, for you to assert anything?

I doubt you'll answer and I further doubt the answer to the question above will be yes
      Hint:

OG is only interested in winding people up - ignore him, it pisses him off greatly.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You seem to be all over this sort of thing. Let's assume that I have spoken to 1,000 people to an extent to which I am confident that none of them would support such a relationship with the UK. How would you evaluate the significance of this sample? We'll need to make some broad assumptions that they are a representative sample for the purposes of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
          BTW you would be surprised at the amount of people in the Republic that would like to join back with the UK in some sort of economic / trading union....
          I thought they were already in one or has Brexit actually happened without anyone knowing?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You seem to be all over this sort of thing. Let's assume that I have spoken to 1,000 people to an extent to which I am confident that none of them would support such a relationship with the UK. How would you evaluate the significance of this sample? We'll need to make some broad assumptions that they are a representative sample for the purposes of this discussion.
            Indeed, I have a knack for knowing when you're (and your other sockies) trying to make statistic-based assertions without the underlying fundamentals, or even realising the significance of 'your research' is close to zero

What do YOU think is a statistically significant sample size for a nation state, when trying to assert statements covering said nation state as a whole?
            (since you were making the claim of not many, you must have already defined this...)

Unless you can prove otherwise, you've described yourself as a member of the 'metropolitan elite' - so that assumption (representative sample) will not have to be made (if anything the opposite assumption could be made) - it just gives an indication of how biased your sample could have been though

Still, keep going - you're getting 9/10 for effort and you may even learn something in the end -

**if you've already given up and don't want to play anymore; google - 'anecdotal evidence' and that should gently break your echo chamber

HTH BIDI
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Indeed, I have a knack for knowing when you're (and your other sockies) trying to make statistic-based assertions without the underlying fundamentals, or even realising the significance of 'your research' is close to zero

What do YOU think is a statistically significant sample size for a nation state, when trying to assert statements covering said nation state as a whole?
              (since you were making the claim of not many, you must have already defined this...)

Unless you can prove otherwise, you've described yourself as a member of the 'metropolitan elite' - so that assumption (representative sample) will not have to be made (if anything the opposite assumption could be made) - it just gives an indication of how biased your sample could have been though

Still, keep going - you're getting 9/10 for effort and you may even learn something in the end -

**if you've already given up and don't want to play anymore; google - 'anecdotal evidence' and that should gently break your echo chamber

HTH BIDI
              We need to make some assumptions in life based on our experiences. Otherwise, unless there is scientific polling to state that the original assertion (which I am challenging) is valid, then there isn't really a discussion to be had.

What you have failed to address is: what would be a significant sample size, where the responses to a Yes / No type question are 100% for one response and 0% for the other. My stats are a bit rusty so I'll let somebody else chip in, but I'll wager that 1,000 is significant.

While I do refer to myself as 'metropolitan elite' (you may note that I am mocking the position of JRM types when doing so), I talk to a range of people from a range of socio-economic backgrounds in Dublin, other cities and rural areas (where I have family connections). Not scientific, I know, but let's make some reasonable assumptions that it is broadly representative, seeing as you brought up the question of significance.

Comment

Snip

What you have failed to address is: what would be a significant sample size, where the responses to a Yes / No type question are 100% for one response and 0% for the other. My stats are a bit rusty so I'll let somebody else chip in, but I'll wager that 1,000 is significant.

snip
                Perhaps NlyUK

Not in a general population of 4.8 million (0.2%)

Is there anything to suggest people of different socio-economic backgrounds are excluded from being able to give views on the show that Pat mentioned?
                (otherwise, that show too, can have the same assumption added and thus, validates his point to the same degree as yours.....)

The reason for bringing that up, as you tried to argue from 'supposed' authority (lived for >20 years, never (0) heard that, yadda yadda), is you took the claim to a level, not claimed by Pat, so YOU needed to define these things, otherwise everyone else can dismiss both your claims, and say with some confidence, that neither of you know enough to state either way.

HTH BIDI
                Last edited by Bean; 27 June 2018, 15:25. Reason: Correcting the quote tags, to make em work
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Hint:

OG is only interested in winding people up - ignore him, it pisses him off greatly.
                  Bollox.

OG is interested in winding up everyone except SG who he fags for.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    What was it that Churchill said about democracy and voters?
                    Well, it was an interesting discussion while it lasted. Maybe we should resume it some time if we can gat a bit of peace to do so.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

but I'll wager that 1,000 is significant.

Not in a general population of 4.8 million (0.2%)
                      OG is right, Bean is wrong.

Your homework Bean is to find out why (BTW, it would have been smarter for you not to comment on statistical issues since it's clear to me that you haven't progressed beyond the level of a CSE* in mathematics).

*No not a spelling mistake.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X