• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government likely to be defeated on the Customs union amendment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government likely to be defeated on the Customs union amendment

Brexiteers accept defeat on Customs Union

The government has suffered a triple-whammy of disappointments this week - defeat over an amendment in the House of Lords, a new Commons motion on the matter tabled by senior MPs and a rejection of the UK's Irish border proposals - which have made the issue live once more.

Pro-Leave sources told City A.M. that some "sensible" Brexiters were increasingly coming around to the idea, as long as it was positioned as a finite extension to the transition period.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg in a rage over Customs Union defeat

and that ladies and gentlemen is the end of the Brexit debate.

The UK will effectively be staying in the EU. I predicted a Swiss style deal, but in the end the UK will end up much closer to the EU than either Norway or Switzerland.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 April 2018, 21:32.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The UK will effectively be staying in the EU. I predicted a Swiss style deal, but in the end the UK will end up much closer to the EU than either Norway or Switzerland.

Agreed, we need to move onto the next stage. Smoke polution caused by all thoes Brexiters burning their bus passes in protest.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
      Agreed, we need to move onto the next stage. Smoke polution caused by all thoes Brexiters burning their bus passes in protest.
      Oh yes, they are likely raging mad that something that is not open for negotiation has been rejected by a protest group of unelected over-the-hill nobodies and that the planned transitional arrangements will actually take place.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth, it's a lovely day today, isn't it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Wasn't the referendum about parliamentary sovereignty ?, yes parliament has unelected members, always has, this is the "will of the British people", they need to get over it.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 April 2018, 09:32.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Love the comments .... JRM for PM Hilarious ... some muppets will vote for any idiot
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

But we can ignore their politicians?

And we don't need to fund them?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

If the UK goes into a customs agreement they probably will continue to fund them.

The UK will become like Switzerland where politicians spend most of their time copying and pasting EU laws into their own.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

If the UK goes into a customs agreement they probably will continue to fund them.

The UK will become like Switzerland where politicians spend most of their time copying and pasting EU laws into their own.

Well that is one option we could look at I suppose.

Nice to have it though.

Comment

Wasn't the referendum about parliamentary sovereignty ?, yes parliament has unelected members, always has, this is the "will of the British people", they need to get over it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433

Get signing.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I don't think we can, and I'm not sure we can strike our own trade deals either. We will of course continue to fund them, so it's a bit of a clustershag all round. What's the point of a bit of democracy when the unelected think they can just ignore it?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X