• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does Brexit mean for me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    it was a very simple analogy, relating directly to the "take back control" message about borders, parliament, laws, etc.

I was going to elaborate on the Mystic Meg thing earlier by saying that Brexit Meg would say "...The NHS could be celebrating tonight..." but only older farts would remember her.
    aka your audience.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I guarantee that most intelligent people can understand your point without resorting to gear box analogies.
      Perhaps, but the point needs to be rammed home. Over and over again. A lot of what Brexiteers were complaining about, and voting to escape from, has been caused by the abject failure of the UK and not the EU.

This may seem irrelevant - water under the bridge. Brexiteers won't suddenly have a Damascene moment and see the light. However if you are trying to guess what will happen post-Brexit, don't count on any wonderful new firework trade deals. Britain will be tainted goods being tossed around in a big vicious world run by hopeless, Woman's Institute bureaucrats with nothing much to offer apart from world class money laundering and tax evasion. The shelf life of that commodity is very questionable.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Perhaps, but the point needs to be rammed home. Over and over again. A lot of what Brexiteers were complaining about, and voting to escape from, has been caused by the abject failure of the UK and not the EU.

This may seem irrelevant - water under the bridge. Brexiteers won't suddenly have a Damascene moment and see the light. However if you are trying to guess what will happen post-Brexit, don't count on any wonderful new firework trade deals. Britain will be tainted goods being tossed around in a big vicious world run by hopeless, Woman's Institute bureaucrats with nothing much to offer apart from world class money laundering and tax evasion. The shelf life of that commodity is very questionable.
        In all seriousness, do you suffer from depression? I'm not making fun, I think depression is a serious illness. But you seem to have a bleak and negative view of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          This has been thoroughly debunked in relation to developing nations. Although there are notional tariffs on food from Africa, for example, under the EBA scheme the effective tariff is 0%. The only way that green beans in Tescos from Kenya can be cheaper is if we increase development aid, and that is a UK decision not an EU one.
          Please show me this evidence that you talk about in relation to Britain. I would like to look at the source of the evidence so I can understand the motives behind the research.

Comment

I would like to look at the source of the evidence so I can understand the motives behind the research.
            You want evidence so that you can understand the motives behind the research?

Not "so that you can learn something you didn't know", but so you can find out why they researched it?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              You want evidence so that you can understand the motives behind the research?

Not "so that you can learn something you didn't know", but so you can find out why they researched it?
              It's called bias. For example, if you are a company and want to produce evidence that backs up your agenda, you pay the right company to produce that research.

So, if I want to understand the claim that something has been debunked, then I want to see the evidence so I can evaluate it. Part of that evaluation is understanding who is paying for that evidence and their motives.

Comment

It's called bias. For example, if you are a company and want to produce evidence that backs up your agenda, you pay the right company to produce that research.

So, if I want to understand the claim that something has been debunked, then I want to see the evidence so I can evaluate it. Part of that evaluation is understanding who is paying for that evidence and their motives.
                Correct, like 5 rich tax exiles and the Brexit supporting press
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  This is so, so true...Now Brexit is the overwhelming topic in the government and so those problems that already existed are being put on the back burner and getting worse.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

What does Brexit mean for me?

Please show me this evidence that you talk about in relation to Britain. I would like to look at the source of the evidence so I can understand the motives behind the research.
                    There’s no motives, and it’s not research, it’s the Everything But Arms scheme and is applied by the EU (of which the U.K. is currently a participating member)

Try this link for the source of the scheme:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/everything-arms

And here’s the Generalised System of Preferences:

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/cou...f-preferences/

For a wider explanation of the various schemes including EBA, try this twitter thread (about coffee, specifically):

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...591453696.html

Jim is a Remainer, obviously, but feel free to follow the links to the EU tariff and scheme pages and draw your own conclusions on what the actual tariffs from developing countries are.

The counter argument is that for those countries that currently DO have tariffs (Brazil, China, etc) we could certainly reduce our food bill by unilaterally reducing their tariffs to 0. However, increased imports of foodstuffs from those countries would mean increased pressure on developing countries to compete, and would probably harm those developing countries more. It’s a balancing act that we need to be on the right side of.

Comment

Two of the most common arguments I hear against the EU are:

1) It's no problem to trade with the EU on WTO rules, every other country does it, what a waste of money paying to access the single market.

2) The EU is a protectionist trading block that impoverishes anyone nation outside by not allowing them to trade into the EU.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X