• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does Brexit mean for me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    17 million people voted for it, and it's hard to have a civil discussion if they want to ignore the rest of the population.
    At one time they compare the EU to the USSR, and next they are comparing it to Hitler's Germany
    And then we're told that you might as well have a crystal ball to work out the future because no one could have any idea.

In other words, some have chosen Mystic Meg over logic and facts. You'd think that maybe the leaders of the Brexit group would have been smart enough to carry out, say, about 57 sets of analysis on the impact of Brexit on different sectors of the economy that would go into excruciating detail.
    But, maybe just to make it clear, it is not the case that these analyses exist.

So, there's your future in a nut shell. Buy one lottery ticket, you're more likely to end up better off if you do than when we leave the EU.
    I think there are people like you, that don't like change. Probably afraid of it. There are other people that see opportunity in change and have serious misgivings about the EU.

Obviously, vested groups are pumping out propaganda, it's either the end of the world or a dawn of a golden age. I think it's pretty simple, we are moving away from a political and economic union. Trade will still exist. Life will still go on.

I do worry about the EU, without the UK in it they will lose a guiding member.

Comment

We're doomed

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      This is the statement that makes me laugh because the far right and the far left are all anti-EU so surely they should be in favour of the EU
      The Brexit Referundum was a bit like: Please vote on whether you'd like to a) continue going to work or b) stop working? Eighty percent of the population think 'I hate work; I'd love to stay at home'. Half of those then think 'Ah, but I do need my job (until I come up on the Lotto)'. The other half vote Leave. Then they start to get agitated when their employer points out that their pay check stops in a month's time.

I don't like the EU. Never have. However our useless leaders failed to make the best of the situation. There were tons of things we could have done from immigration control down to the colour of passports but this country is useless except at facilitating financial crime. Out of the EU, things will not improve. It's the same useless people and savage Anglo-Saxon economy. When the best we can do for leaders is May, Johnson and Davis you might as well hoist up the white flag.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I think there are people like you, that don't like change. Probably afraid of it. There are other people that see opportunity in change and have serious misgivings about the EU.

Obviously, vested groups are pumping out propaganda, it's either the end of the world or a dawn of a golden age. I think it's pretty simple, we are moving away from a political and economic union. Trade will still exist. Life will still go on.

I wouldn't worry about the EU, even Portugal is growing faster than the UK. I doubt however that the UK will survive as a Union, Scotland is simply biding it's time.

The UK government has kicked the can down the road by essentially agreeing to a transition deal to the extent that at least business believes it. If the government does follow through on Brexit without copping out into the EEA then rest assured it will be an economic disaster. The thing about an economy is that it is "elastic" to a certain extent it can handle a few knocks unscathed eg Trump and his tariffs, push it too far though and it is subject to a catastrophic collapse. That is where the UK will end up if the Brexiteers get their way.

That's what you need to be worried about. However in the end the red lines will become increasingly pink.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Why is no one talking about the italian elections?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ede9ccdab913
          https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...-formaggi.html
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think there are people like you, that don't like change. Probably afraid of it. There are other people that see opportunity in change
            I love change. Change is a good thing, if you have some idea of what you are changing for

Also, it depends whether it is a very high risk change because you've not done any research, or a low risk change because you have.

To say there is positive opportunity in change would require research to be done to see if such opportunity exists.

Change, for the sake of change, is pointless.
            If someone says "I must change my car to one with a 6 speed gearbox, my car is missing that", and someone says to them "your car already has a 6 speed gearbox, but you only drive it in 1st, 3rd and 5th", then the reason for change is invalid, instead the driver needs to use the features he already has in his car.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, they will lose a guiding member. Despite all the propaganda it’s been a symbiotic partnership where the U.K. has been instrumental in guiding and in pushing both the direction of the EU and reforms where it’s not so good, and in turn the U.K. has benefitted from the partnership that comes with being a member of a 500m strong community, both in trade and in increased safety, rights, and security for our own citizens.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as saying that trade will still exist and life will still go on, though. Of course it will, trade will not stop. But it will be comparably more difficult and have increased costs attached. This means less profits, which means less tax take, which means less public services. Life will go on, but for many people it will be much harder, and generally those will be the more vulnerable anyway.

So, who benefits? Who will see this “opportunity in change”? The low-paid and vulnerable? Or the Rees-Moggs? Which is more likely?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Yes, they will lose a guiding member. Despite all the propaganda it’s been a symbiotic partnership where the U.K. has been instrumental in guiding and in pushing both the direction of the EU and reforms where it’s not so good, and in turn the U.K. has benefitted from the partnership that comes with being a member of a 500m strong community, both in trade and in increased safety, rights, and security for our own citizens.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as saying that trade will still exist and life will still go on, though. Of course it will, trade will not stop. But it will be comparably more difficult and have increased costs attached. This means less profits, which means less tax take, which means less public services. Life will go on, but for many people it will be much harder, and generally those will be the more vulnerable anyway.

So, who benefits? Who will see this “opportunity in change”? The low-paid and vulnerable? Or the Rees-Moggs? Which is more likely?
                I agree there have been benefits from being part of the EU. To say that there has not is just plain wrong. And it's great for the EU that the UK is a liberal force.

But the EU wants to be merge closer and closer and for many people including me that's not what I want. I don't think it will work and may even cause extreme problems in some countries.

Trade and services will continue and those companies that trade or provide services will have to abide by the EU rules/standards. Same if we sold a product into the USA. It adds some complexity but nothing that isn't already overcome.

Some economists argue that moving out of a protectionist zone will allow goods and services to be bought at a much cheaper price. The consumer will pay out less for food for example.

Industry that is subsidised by the consumer because we are part of a protectionist zone will suffer. I do think we will see some job losses.

So, I do think it's as simple as trade will go one. It will be different but opportunities exist.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Change, for the sake of change, is pointless.
                  If someone says "I must change my car to one with a 6 speed gearbox, my car is missing that", and someone says to them "your car already has a 6 speed gearbox, but you only drive it in 1st, 3rd and 5th", then the reason for change is invalid, instead the driver needs to use the features he already has in his car.
                  Sorry, but that's a crap way of explaining your argument.

I guarantee that most intelligent people can understand your point without resorting to gear box analogies.

Comment

Sorry, but that's a crap way of explaining your argument.

I guarantee that most intelligent people can understand your point without resorting to gear box analogies.
                    it was a very simple analogy, relating directly to the "take back control" message about borders, parliament, laws, etc.

I was going to elaborate on the Mystic Meg thing earlier by saying that Brexit Meg would say "...The NHS could be celebrating tonight..." but only older farts would remember her.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Some economists argue that moving out of a protectionist zone will allow goods and services to be bought at a much cheaper price. The consumer will pay out less for food for example.
                      This has been thoroughly debunked in relation to developing nations. Although there are notional tariffs on food from Africa, for example, under the EBA scheme the effective tariff is 0%. The only way that green beans in Tescos from Kenya can be cheaper is if we increase development aid, and that is a UK decision not an EU one.

Comment

Working...
                      X