• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does Brexit mean for me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can we answer "What does Brexit mean for me?" and how it will impact us on a personal level, when no one knows what Brexit means.

So far the only concrete statement by the government on the matter is that:

Brexit means Brexit
    Brexit is red, white and blue

Under these circumstances I can safely declare that Brexit will not affect me on a personal level whatsoever...

Comment

Thank you. I suppose my follow up question is what common ground can people who voted for Brexit agree that they will get out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        Thank you. I suppose my follow up question is what common ground can people who voted for Brexit agree that they will get out of it?
        Blue passports
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Blue passports
          Hmm.

What do people who voted Brexit actually want out of it? This is not a loaded/trolling question and I appreciate there will be lots of different wants depending on the person - but I fail to get the gist of what they actually want or expect for that matter.

What is in it for the average Joe?

Comment

What do people who voted Brexit actually want out of it??
            They wanted a) less foreigners around the place, b) not to have to pay lots of money to people who haven't had a signed off audit for decades, and iii) not to be pushed around by other countries. So Brexiteers refuse to accept EU freedom of movement or the ECJ ruling on things. They didn't want to pay any membership fees but seem to have realized that they may have to but the amount could be quite large (based on Norway) and therefore might trigger another explosion.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Donald Tusk has demanded access to British fishing waters and rejected EU access to the City.

Good stuff.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Regardless of one's position on Leave or Remain it amazes me that with 387 days until Brexit noone really has a clue about what Brexit will mean for them regardless of their sociodemographic factors.

Is there anything concrete that we know about the impact Brexit will have on us personally- and can we list these things in a factual manner as opposed to opinion or political bias?

1. Increased trade and wealth.
                2. For better or for worse, full sovereignty over laws and decision making.
                3. Slightly more cumbersome to travel around the EU.
                4. More difficult to work in the EU.
                5. More control over immigration and therefore less strain on services.
                6. Ability to now plan those services based on more predictable immigration figures.
                7. Bendy bananas are back in fashion.
                8. More powerful vacuum cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It's a bit like reminding someone about a boil on their lip, that's why Brexit has been relegated to it's own forum, most don't like to be reminded it's happening.

The money is on the government either caving in to the EU or being replaced and therefore things not changing very much, you're quite right though, if Brexit really happens, it will be a fookin' disaster.

My money is on option 1, the Government caving it to EU and Brexit will end up as a damp squib as we will be out, but really in.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The only thing wrong with the question is that it seems to provoke hostility. It is a perfectly valid question.
                    Indeed it is. Tragically however, it requires a crystal ball to know exactly what the outcome will be, and those are in short supply.

However, even before the Referendum, an ability to accurately chart the future was something that lay beyond the capabilities of man.

HTH BISDI

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Regardless of one's position on Leave or Remain it amazes me that with 387 days until Brexit noone really has a clue about what Brexit will mean for them regardless of their sociodemographic factors.

Is there anything concrete that we know about the impact Brexit will have on us personally- and can we list these things in a factual manner as opposed to opinion or political bias?
                      So far it has meant for me:

1. cheap booze in Newry
                      2. general hilarity (in a metropolitan elite kind of way) at the hapless idiocy of Brexiteers.

No reason to think either of these will change soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X