• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Brexit deal will hit UK economy - government paper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    What history?
    Correct. There has never really been a federal Europe, I think the poster believes that subjugation of other countries makes for a federation, perhaps something not unlike the Commonwealth
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
      The UK will be as successful as its going to be in or out of the EU club. But out we're still the UK and not a lackey of the US of EU and its fat cat masters. A federal Europe will not work as history has proven. Brexit isn't about the short term its about our long term independence and success and out is better for both. So the remainer FUD that keeps washing onto our shores should be ignored as the tripe it is
      There are several successful federal states in Europe at this moment
      Germany
      Austria
      Belgium
      Russia
      Switzerland

So yes federations work even in Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        There are several successful federal states in Europe at this moment
        Germany
        Austria
        Belgium
        Russia
        Switzerland

So yes federations work even in Europe
        Compared to the EU those are small Countries with structural ties between the people but not immune to their differences. Switzerland and Russia aren't in the EU and where we have cultural and language separation the people dislike each other such as in Belgium. Other examples of recent federations that have disintegrated are the USSR and Yugoslavia and many European Countries show signs of strain with independence movements in Spain and elsewhere. Power tends to the centre which is why Germany is so successful in the EU and why we'll never be as we're on the periphery in more ways than one I don't want my future to be determined by smug gits from Luxembourg and German industrialists and I don't want to see our institutions (small stuff like the system of law!) discarded because of incompatibility with the way much of the continent does things.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I might be missing something obvious but where is the link to the leaked document. I wouldn't mind looking at the authors, their motivation and the methodology used.

I think nearly every forecast from the government has been wrong, so would be interesting to see their approach.

Project fear, is geering up.
          Found it
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think the problem is people seem to view a United States of Europe in much the same way as the United States of America

The difference is most European countries have centuries of history, culture etc and so are independent countries in their own right.

The American states have only been in existence since approx 18th century and were never separate independent countries.

Comment

Any Brexit deal will hit UK economy - government paper

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I think the problem is people seem to view a United States of Europe in much the same way as the United States of America

The difference is most European countries have centuries of history, culture etc and so are independent countries in their own right.

The American states have only been in existence since approx 18th century and were never separate independent countries.
              Apart from Hawaii

And Texas

And California

And Vermont

Any others?
              Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 30 January 2018, 14:41.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

There will never be a United States of Europe comparable with the United States of America, where a President simply changes the regulations with the stroke of a pen or starts a nuclear war. Talk of more integration is always about co-operation between sovereign states. There is no article 50 in the US.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 January 2018, 14:45.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Apart from Hawaii

And Texas

And California

And Vermont

Any others?
                    Well there is a full list here.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...n_to_the_Union

None of them really existed as proper countries with history and culture - more settled lands - with the probably exception of Hawaii - which has it's own unique history.

Comment

Well there is a full list here.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...n_to_the_Union

None of them really existed as proper countries with history and culture - more settled lands - with the probably exception of Hawaii - which has it's own unique history.
                      Ever been to Texas? I’d say I agree with you but would include Hawaii and Texas (been to both too).
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X