• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carney says Brexit already costing UK economy £10B per year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trend in the increasing number of bankruptcies doesn't inspire confidence.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...m/bankruptcies
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Keep on dreaming

Oh and if you're so democratic why not a second referendum, parliament is elected every 4 years which is considered democratic, so why is this suddenly not possible with referenda?
      oh bless. He's made a rude sign at me. Isn't that cute?

Why not a second referendum? Why would you offer up a second referendum in the middle of a negotiation? That would be plain stupid. It would clearly indicate to the opposing side that they should not negotiate in the hope that a "Bad" deal would make electorate change their minds.

Why not a second referendum? Because actually, other than a few die-hard Remoaners, nobody actually wants one.

Why not a second referendum? Because the Tories AND Labour don't want one. Which side would the government be on? "Remain"? After spending all their political capital negotiating a new relationship with Europe. Labour still don't know what their position is and their supporters were the most vocal against free movement.

Why not a second referendum? Because Farage would be brought back to life, rather than fading into complete obscurity as he is currently doing.

What would the "Remain" campaign be based on? The "Profound and immediate" economic shock that it was based on last time? The one that so clearly has not come to pass? Remain would not have a leg to stand on and there is every chance that they'd lose again, and lose more heavily. So "Remain" would much rather sit on the sidelines carping on about doom.

The UK is leaving the EU. Parliment has passed the BREXIT bill. The negotiations of phase 1 have been completed. Transition and trade will be sorted out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The trend in the increasing number of bankruptcies doesn't inspire confidence.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...m/bankruptcies
        So which part of the UK do you live in? I am curious as to why you have such a negative outlook.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          So which part of the UK do you live in? I am curious as to why you have such a negative outlook.
          What don't you understand from his link?

Comment

Most of them don't live here in the UK and/or have no interest in the UK being a success.

Comment

Which link? I am just expecting him to say something like "NE, SE, London or Midlands".

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Most of them don't live here in the UK and/or have no interest in the UK being a success.

Funny that. It's almost as though they are in an echo chamber sucking up the "Anti-BREXIT" media line and accepting it without question because it validates their own view.

Whereas in the real world people are just getting on with life.

Don't you think that it's funny that "Post-Ref", how important politics and political decisions are held up to be? Like it's the decisions that politicians make ( of all stripes and across the world ) that make the difference between having a person having a good life and living on the breadline.

Pre-Referendum most people would have said "Politics does not affect my life in any major way"

I think for the vast majority of people, it's the decisions that they make on how they educate themselves, how they present themselves, their own personal ambitions and the things they aspire to that makes the majority of the difference in their lives.

My own success or failure is 99% down to me.

Comment

...If your only experience of the UK is based on the news you'd think that everything was awful and it was doom and gloom all around...
                  True. Bill Hicks was right when he said all he saw on the news was doom and gloom ("war, death, famine, aids, ...") yet when he put his head out the window all he could hear were crickets, "where is all this tulip happening?".

If you can't see it does it make it less real?
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Funny that. It's almost as though they are in an echo chamber sucking up the "Anti-BREXIT" media line and accepting it without question because it validates their own view.
                    You have to make some serious allowances for Eirikur.

He hails from a country whose greatest hero achieved that accolade simply by sticking his finger in a dyke!! Oooerr missus!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      True. Bill Hicks was right when he said all he saw on the news was doom and gloom ("war, death, famine, aids, ...") yet when he put his head out the window all he could hear were crickets, "where is all this tulip happening?".

If you can't see it does it make it less real?

It's a big old world out there. There's always something good and something bad happening.

You can choose to focus on the good or focus on the bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X