• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hammond in davos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammond in davos

So Mr Hammond's speech in davos, he says he wants a brexit that delivers no change whatsoever, free movement for all from anywhere in Europe.

What about the blooming referendum? What is the point if nothing changes?

Surely there are going to be political fallouts from this idiot saying this?
    Last edited by CoolCat; 25 January 2018, 16:35.

Hammond in davos

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    So Mr Hammond's speech in davos, he says he wants a brexit that delivers no change whatsoever, free movement for all from anywhere in Europe.

Surely there are going to be political fallouts from this idiot saying this?
    Did you see any question on the ballot paper about freedom of movement?

(Clue: Norway has FoM and is not in the EU)

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

What change did we vote for?
      If someone can identify that then it'll be easy.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        What change did we vote for?
        If someone can identify that then it'll be easy.
        This is why I couldn't vote. What did "out" ever mean? No-one qualified it, no-one was willing to put their stake in the ground and say "out means No free movement, X amount less paid toward the EU per annum, no EHIC card etc. etc." instead we had a blind vote on something we knew nothing about.

We shouldn't have even been given a vote in the bloody first place!

Comment

I think it was pretty clear.

Leave the EU. You have to leave the custom union and the single market. A pillar of the single market is freedom of movement.

I really can't see the confusion.

Comment

Might be better to move this to the brexit safe place.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Leave the EU. You have to leave the custom union and the single market. A pillar of the single market is freedom of movement.

I can see the confusion.

Shall we ring Norway and tell them?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                I can see the confusion.

Shall we ring Norway and tell them?
                Please, if it makes you feel better call them. But I still don't understand your confusion, when approaching the ballot paper.
                Last edited by woohoo; 25 January 2018, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Did you see any question on the ballot paper about freedom of movement?

(Clue: Norway has FoM and is not in the EU)
                  I certainly saw the campaign that won it.

Something about "taking back control".

Which surveys repeatedly confirm as the winning message when voters decided.

So, we'd better be taking back some measure of control, methinks.

Norway? Gosh, that sounds to me like ceding control. I don't see that ending well.

Cue the arguments about "no one voted to get poorer, control is an illusion in international agreements etc." Yep, we all voted to get poorer. Afterall, getting poorer was the core message of the losing campaign

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Please, if it makes you feel better call them. But I still don't understand your confusion, when approaching the ballot paper.
                    No confusion from me at all about what was on the ballot paper.

This is what you said just above:

The ballot question was “Leave the European Union”

- Norway is not a member of the European Union

- Norway _is_ a part of the single market (through the EEA, _not_ the EU)

- Norway accepts Freedom of Movement.

Comment

Working...
                    X