• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bridge to Nowhere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridge to Nowhere

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ss-the-channel

What’s the blonde buffoon been sent out to distract everyone from today? Oh, that’s right, Macron making it very explicit to the Maybot that financial services will not be part of any cherry-picking:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3744051.html

Probably just sabre-rattling though. Until it isn’t, and by then it will be too late.

Boris is totally wrong on this.

We need Boris Island. Close Heathrow. Add in Thames barrier 2 which will soon be needed.

Best if all, when they blow up USS Montgomery, it will create a tidal wave 6 metres high that will swamp Sheerness. Causing a whole £4.87 worth of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Boris is totally wrong on this.

We need Boris Island. Close Heathrow. Add in Thames barrier 2 which will soon be needed.

Best if all, when they blow up USS Montgomery, it will create a tidal wave 6 metres high that will swamp Sheerness. Causing a whole £4.87 worth of damage improvements.
      FTFY
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I don’t think we need the bridge.

But I applaud his call for a bit of engineering vision.

We could do with a lot more vision by our political leaders.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Comment

In the interview with Marr, he said there was “a competition between different countries” to attract financial services companies in the future and that France wanted “to attract the maximum activity”.
            The corpse of the U.K. is being picked over and we’re not even dead yet.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/...u-is-possible?

Comment

How apt...

The bridge to nowhere

ITALIAN MP Sandro Gozi has warned Britain’s desire for a “Canada plus plus plus” deal post-Brexit could mean the country must accept the European Union’s four freedoms, which includes freedom of movement for workers.
              because the whole Brexit process is a bridge that leads right back to where the UK started from.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                How apt...

The bridge to nowhere

because the whole Brexit process is a bridge that leads right back to where the UK started from.

Even without freedom of movement, it’s clear that there are many EU citizens that will be allowed to stay and work - those already here, those arriving under any transition period, those that the U.K. decides that it wants to let in on “preferred roles” or whatever.

There needs to be a way to identify everyone and their visa / residency status. That would also, presumably, require Brits to carry around some form of ID to prove that they are Brits (my kids, for example, were born here and have English accents but are not U.K. citizens).

Which leads us all the way around to identity cards, the very things that the government could have introduced years ago to limit EU immigration.....

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  I don’t think we need the bridge.

But I applaud his call for a bit of engineering vision.

We could do with a lot more vision by our political leaders.
                  It would be nice to get something the UK could lead the way with. Concord(e) was great - but not developed further.

The UK had the first digital telephone exchange. Went live for about 5 minutes? Then in the 1980s we ended up getting them from abroad!

I would like to see the UK lead the world in energy supply - coal, nuclear and renewable. In electric cars. And fusion.

Sadly the UK usually has great ideas then fails to capitalise on them.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    It would be nice to get something the UK could lead the way with. Concord(e) was great - but not developed further.

The UK had the first digital telephone exchange. Went live for about 5 minutes? Then in the 1980s we ended up getting them from abroad!

I would like to see the UK lead the world in energy supply - coal, nuclear and renewable. In electric cars. And fusion.

Sadly the UK usually has great ideas then fails to capitalise on them.....
                    We are pretty sharp with wind power technology.

The Swansea tidal lagoon has promise too. Heck the Severn lagoon is a a great idea.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X