• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiteers won the vote but lost the war

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    All the arguing is pointless. People voted brexit just to kick DC.

Sadly brexit will just increase inequality faster.
    Sadly, I agree.

If there was ever going to be a chance of Brexit being successful, it would have been done differently - impact assessments and plans presented before the Cabinet, and an aligned approach agreed before any Article 50 was triggered. This may have taken a number of years, but at least it would have been well planned. Combined with internal lessons learned and changes made to the way the regions and people are treated within the UK and it might have worked to align a greater number of people to it.

Instead, we've become more polarised, and the only ones that will benefit are the same elites that always benefit out of chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Brexiteers won the vote but lost the war

In spite of the key cabinet positions being held by ardent Brexiteers, Brexit is clearly failing.

You're quoting Matthew Parris, one of the most extreme continuity-remainers in the UK. I saw his latest piece in the Times on Saturday. The Times is also a remain-supporting newspaper in all of its editorials (although it allows Leave contributions).

Parris and his fellow remain-extremists have been driven mad by Brexit. First by the vote, and then by the failure of the UK economy to collapse on cue. Blair, Grayling and others, for example, now support the overthrow of a fully constitutional democratic vote in the UK, something they would never have sanctioned in their saner days, and certainly not before the votes were counted. Potty as pilchards, the lot of them. The reality of the situation is this: the UK does not steal elections. Anyone who thinks it will is living in Disney Land.

Last week's manufacturing figures can't have helped Parris's mood. Just as as the Times was printing his column, figures revealed that UK manufacturing is expanding at a faster rate than at any time since 2008. Even the BBC grudgingly reported it. Once again, and for the hundredth time, Parris and his cohort must now power on the word processor, shake their fists at the Windows 10 logo and think of a negative spin.

Talking of negative spin, you have to admire the Beeb. Having seen their "despite brexit" rider laughed out of court, they have replaced it with a less-than-subtle editorial, now appearing under good news stories. Impressive UK performance is routinely ascribed to "global economic conditions", while anything negative is usually blamed on the UK. Here's Kamal Ahmed editorializing the story mentioned above (under the title of "analysis"):

UK manufacturing output at its highest for 10 years - BBC News

Look out for the same template in Beeb stories. "Good news = global. Bad news = national".
      Last edited by unixman; 16 January 2018, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Instead, we've become more polarised
        Where CUK leads the country follows.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          But in the film he didn't go 'Oh Yesss!' once.....
          No. That's was "When Harry Met Sally".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            You're quoting Matthew Parris, one of the most extreme continuity-remainers in the UK.
            https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/533904...to-deliver-it/

BOJO'S BREXIT FEARS Boris Johnson warns allies that Brexit is still far from certain and they face a big fight to deliver it

When a continuity Brexiteer agrees with a continuity Remainer then it's probably true. If you want Brexit you'd better get your skates on, because it's disappearing fast.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              And here, encapsulated in one dreary pompous and factually incoherent rant, lies the reason that the forum is shedding posters at an alarming fashion.

Sad really.

So why don't you just **** off then?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                So why don't you just **** off then?
                Because I know how much you would miss me.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  What? All you snowflakes can't stand the truth or form a coherent argument?
                  I had already convincingly won the argument. Little need for you to underpin it still further.

But I suppose it went over your empty little head...............like so much other stuff.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Can't wait to leave now - looks like the leavers are pushing the "it might not happen" agenda.

Tusk is begging for the UK to stay again.

It's going to plan. Hopefully, we can start getting the economy back on track and the NHS sorted without interference from the EU.

Migration is dropping to, all good news.

Comment

It's only 3 years behind schedule at the moment unless the Brexiteers manage to torpedo the transition deal, and I suspect it will get delayed further and further as the UK gets mired in complicated talks about the NI border.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X