• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not really going well is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    He was only paraphrasing that great British leader...

But Churchill didn’t view the UK as a member, rather as the head of our own powerful commonwealth.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      But Churchill didn’t view the UK as a member, rather as the head of our own powerful commonwealth.
      Really?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Really?
        https://www.ft.com/content/3d6bbabc-...9-1365ce54b926

Yep
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Interesting article, thanks.

Of course the difference between his vision in the 40's and now, is he assumed that the commonwealth countries would still be reliant and heavily joined with the UK, but as the article says many of these have moved away from the UK and formed their own deals in their local regions and hence the world of Churchill is not the world of today. In Churchill's day we still had HK, Singers, India had only just gained independence, we still had close ties to Oz, NZ, Canada, we still had Cyprus, Botswana and a whole host of other countries. Our power in the world has diminished over the years and we have naturally grown closer to the continent but many in the UK still long for those colonial days that are long gone.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Martin Schulz is an abhorrent twat. However, if the UK had been more assertive and stayed in the EU, they would have the EU Presidency and could have made a statement to the contrary. As it stands for the UK it's run rabbit run rabbit run run run
            Do you know what, if we had stayed in the toxic club, "our" president would have been one Tony f**king Blair, and he would have sold us down the river quicker than anyone could say "how do you spell offshore account"?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The trouble with that article is that, apart from the link to the speech not owrking, is that the speech actually doesn't really mention anything about Britain not joining, that was in an earlier essay (for which no link is provided) so by the time he gave this speech, he may have changed his mind. In fact the speech is all 'we' which implies Great Britain as well...
              We must build a kind of United States of Europe.
              If we are to form the United States of Europe or whatever name or form it may take, we must begin now.
              Our constant aim must be to build and fortify the strength of the United Nations Organisation.

Under and within that world concept, we must re-create the European family in a regional structure called, it may be, the United States of Europe.

The first step is to form a Council of Europe.

If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Do you know what, if we had stayed in the toxic club, "our" president would have been one Tony f**king Blair, and he would have sold us down the river quicker than anyone could say "how do you spell offshore account"?
                I know Blair wanted it but I suspect he wouldn't have got it, he's too toxic for many people. Anyway, he held the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from January to June 1998 and July to December 2005.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Let it all out. It is all part of your grieving process.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Let it all out. It is all part of your grieving process.
                    Interesting, and what are your views on voting for me as personality of the year for CUK? I'm not as tuliptly passive agressive as you, so vote for me.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Interesting, and what are your views on voting for me as personality of the year for CUK? I'm not as tuliptly passive agressive as you, so vote for me.
                      We are the prom king and queen of CUK passive aggression.

Comment

Working...
                      X