• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: New Election coming soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: New Election coming soon

DUP expresses doubts about UK-EU post-Brexit Irish border deal - Politics live

She said the DUP would not accept any “regulatory divergence” between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. This is awkward for Theresa May, because it implies the DUP want the ‘regulatory alignment with the EU after Brexit’ condition to apply to the whole of the UK - something which is unacceptable to Tory Brexiters.

She says the DUP would oppose anything that would lead to regulatory divergence between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

She says the DUP wants to see a sensible Brexit.

The Irish government claim to be guarantors of the Belfast agreement. But they are seeking to unilaterally change it, she says. She says the DUP will not stand for that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

You actually think the DUP will vote against the Torys?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Depends if they have their bung from the Tories in the bank or not. If the cash has been received, then anything goes :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Yes if there is even the slightest hint that NI will be made somehow different from the rest of the UK. They will see it as the first step towards a united Ireland.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'd politely suggest that you hold your horses and wait until later today or tomorrow, when we know the true nature of the inevitable fudge that has been agreed.

Unlike our own gov't, the EU is rather effective at briefing.

OTOH, the DUP and Tory whips are coordinating closely. There's no way that May will sign-up to something that immediately implodes the agreement w/ the DUP so, if there IS an agreement (and I wouldn't necessarily trust the press just yet, for the reason I mentioned above) the DUP will be onboard, and that means no countenance of regulatory divergence between NI and rUK.

Comment

Foster, the DUP leader, did not explicitly condemn the UK-EU border deal. She expressed reservations about it, but did not firmly condemn it.
            No election, not on that issue anyway. I suspect Scotland may end up in a similar kind of half out status as well.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Yes if there is even the slightest hint that NI will be made somehow different from the rest of the UK. They will see it as the first step towards a united Ireland.
              Agreed, the DUP do not BS (unlike HMG). If they don't like something, and they can influence it, it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Understood. But would they go as far as voting with a motion of no-confidence? They really hate Labour.

I am not an expert on this. Just curious......

Comment

...which raises the most likely outcome of what is essentially not a Hard Brexit or a Soft Brexit but is a "Dog's Brexit".

I'm alright Jack

Comment

The BBC's political editor said Mr Lamberts said the UK was prepared to accept that Northern Ireland may remain in the EU's customs union and single market in all but name.
                    (Source: UK and EU 'appear close to Brexit breakthrough' - BBC News )

I don't even see how that could work, without the SNP kicking off (they'd rather like the same deal as an NI in the single market) and without a return to the troubles?
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X