• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU caves in and gives the UK everything it demands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU caves in and gives the UK everything it demands

UK manages to shove over £50 billion down the EU's throat just so that they'll agree to talk trade with no strings attached

That'll show em'

I'm alright Jack

The EU can go whistle. The UK holds all the cards.

Comment

And still the ministers don’t get it:

Conservative MP Bernard Jenkin told The Independent: “It better be worth it.

“It won’t be unless they now roll out the red carpet for a Rolls Royce free trade deal.”
      They still think the payment is a sweetener for a trade deal, not simply the settlement of financial obligations, whereas in Brussels the two are sequential but not intrinsically linked.

Comment

Relax, it's only about 6 months of delay for those £350m a week NHS payments.

It has to be done. How else can our self serving government secure lucrative jobs when their career as an MP comes to an end.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          The EU can sod off.

'Priti Patel'
          FTFY
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

They should raise interest rates to 5% (historical average when not in 'emergency rate' mode ) to boost the pound even more, then the bill in euros is much smaller.

Or play the long game, with a transition period post 2019, to give the EU enough rope to hang itself (have the PIIGS left the trough?) and crash the euro.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...etin-paying-up

The U.K. has agreed to assume liabilities of as much as €100 billion (£87 billion; $119 billion)
                European officials have long said that any final figure will be camouflaged to help the U.K. government sell the unpopular settlement to voters.
                Wait until the final deal is on the table, that will be "camouflaged" too.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  And still the ministers don’t get it:

They still think the payment is a sweetener for a trade deal, not simply the settlement of financial obligations, whereas in Brussels the two are sequential but not intrinsically linked.
                  That's how we do things in the UK, old chap.

We do love a brown envelope, as long as it is stuffed with fifty's
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Christ. Not only is it costing the UK a fortune, it's trashing the competitiveness of British exports.

Comment

Working...
                    X