• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meanwhile in Europe...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Not really wanting to bang the drum but do you really think things would be better with the sole interest of those who rule over us being an increase in profits - and if they make the laws what do you think is going to be the outcome?

Disabled people do not help profits - get rid of them

Unemployed - let them starve it will increase profits

your kid got autism - no money in that, throw them to the wolves.

I mean fooks sake have you never watched Blade Runner?
    And have you ever watched Jacob Rees-Mogg, one of the people in running to replace May?
    Food banks are "rather uplifting", etc.
    If you want to know what getting rid of social support for disabled people, the unemployed, the poor and the sick, then just look to the Conservative Party, that's what they want to do.
    The only people they will look after are wealthy pensioners who will continue to vote for them.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      And have you ever watched Jacob Rees-Mogg, one of the people in running to replace May?
      If you want to know what getting rid of social support for disabled people, the unemployed, the poor and the sick, then just look to the Conservative Party, that's what they want to do.
      The only people they will look after are wealthy pensioners who will continue to vote for them.
      It's is completely not the same and you know it.

Comment

Wasn't the context of his 'rather uplifting' comment, that

where the government is failing some people in society, it was 'rather uplifting' that people and charities are (temporarily) bridging the gap and helping those most in need.
        which is perfectly fine, for that context - or have I got it wrong and you can provide the transcript of the context?

Oh wait, I've just had a look and;
        "To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are," he said."
        Jacob Rees-Mogg: Food banks 'rather uplifting' - BBC News

Hmmm, now it just looks like you're quoting him out of context to make a point......fancy that
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          Wasn't the context of his 'rather uplifting' comment, that

which is perfectly fine, for that context - or have I got it wrong and you can provide the transcript of the context?

Oh wait, I've just had a look and;

Jacob Rees-Mogg: Food banks 'rather uplifting' - BBC News

Hmmm, now it just looks like you're quoting him out of context to make a point......fancy that
          Looks like you are too...
          "To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are," he said.

while you left out :
          "Inevitably, the state can't do everything, so I think that there is good within food banks.
          "The real reason for the rise in numbers is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."

Shock horror, HasBean.

So, the reason there is a rise in food banks (according to your hero) is that the the party who haven't been in power for the last 6 years are responsible for everything that is happening today.
          Are you sure you don't want to blame the EU for food banks as well, it would fit your MO.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The UK will be a much better place once those big nasty remoaning corporate companies have moved out.
            Interestingly enough there have been more meetings by companies and the EU over Brexit than the UK government and the EU...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Interestingly enough there have been more meetings by companies and the EU over Brexit than the UK government and the EU...
              Hardly surprising since we found out this morning that corporations and not the government run Germany.

Comment

Looks like you are too...
                "To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are," he said.

while you left out :
                "Inevitably, the state can't do everything, so I think that there is good within food banks.
                "The real reason for the rise in numbers is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."

Shock horror, HasBean.

So, the reason there is a rise in food banks (according to your hero) is that the the party who haven't been in power for the last 6 years are responsible for everything that is happening today.
                Are you sure you don't want to blame the EU for food banks as well, it would fit your MO.
                I left out? I provided the link you royal muppet, so you're free (and everyone else) to read the whole context. Unlike your statement.

The rather uplifting phrase relates to this paragraph;
                "To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are," he said."
                Which IS uplifting, i.e. the public at large is voluntarily supporting food banks and/or less fortunate people, especially where the state has let them down - which leads him onto saying the state can't do everything.
                (Interestingly enough, I believe most people wouldn't want the state to do everything, aka nanny state)

His comment about Labour is completely irrelevant to the phrase and not something I'm defending or arguing - just you quoting out of context.

Hadn't even thought to try and blame the EU, but since you asked nicely - Have they passed any directives regarding food banks, their use, recording statistics, or ways to reduce the need for them?

Oh also, he's not my hero and I have never described him as such
                HTH BIDI
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Hardly surprising since we found out this morning that corporations and not the government run Germany.
                  Whereas it seems that banks and other financial institutions run the UK Maybe that explains why Germany has a strong manufacturing base although in reality corporations don't run the German government however much people like to think so (the FDP who are the business friendly party are now frozen out of coalition talks...)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The collapse of the coalition talks in Germany has basically increased the chances of a complete Brexit failure.
                    It was 100% already.

It was 100% before saying MPs would vote on any deal reached.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      So democracy in Germany is just a facade? And that doesn't bother them?
                      well they seem to have done alright out of it for the last 80 years

The Germans seem to favour a socially responsible form of liberal conservatism

So I think the Germans even the business leaders have a sense of social responsibility

Anyway, we have Darmstadt on the ground so he can give us his opinion.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X