• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous'

Sir James Dyson has said that Britain should walk away from the European Union without paying anything towards the Brexit divorce bill.

The billionaire inventor described Brussels' demands for a €60billion divorce bill are "outrageous" as he said that the UK should leave the EU without a deal.

It came as Michael Gove, the Environment Secretary, and Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, suggested in a secret memo to the Prime Minister that Philip Hammond is letting the EU hold the UK "over a barrel".

They accused the Chancellor of failing to show "sufficient energy" and suggested that he is blocking preparations for the UK to leave the EU without a deal.

Sir James said that if the UK walks away from talks "they will come to us" because the UK is such an important market.

Sir James Dyson: Britain should walk away from Brexit negotiations over 'outrageous' divorce bill*demands

James Dyson, having spent ten minutes speaking about the post-Brexit manufacturing boom in Britain:

Marr: So where will you be manufacturing the Dyson car?

Dyson: Probably somewhere in the Middle East.
    James Dyson, who fired at least 590 British workers when he moved a factory abroad in 2002 & is worth almost £8 billion, thinks Brexit will let his company fire people more easily & pay less tax.
    That is what you voted for, so a man who invented a slightly better vacuum cleaner can sack workers easier, move his production abroad and pay less tax
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So it's official now (because I say so) - Brexit sucks...

Comment

James Dyson, having spent ten minutes speaking about the post-Brexit manufacturing boom in Britain:

Marr: So where will you be manufacturing the Dyson car?

Dyson: Probably somewhere in the Middle East.
        Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        That is what you voted for, so a man who invented a slightly better vacuum cleaner can sack workers easier, move his production abroad and pay less tax
        Sadly completely spot on.

Watching the interview Dyson as ever bangs on about a dearth of engineers in the UK but what he really means is that he can't get engineers at bargain basement prices. What is more, he wants to be able to "flex" his workforce which as an employer I'm sure would be wonderful for him but not so much for the poor sod who has just incurred £30-50k debt getting an engineering degree who can then be dropped on a whim.

Dyson has the opportunity to make a big difference to people in the South West if manufacturing for Dyson were to move back to the area.
        Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 12 November 2017, 18:17.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
          Dyson has the opportunity to make a big difference to people in the South West if manufacturing for Dyson were to move back to the area.
          How would he export it cost efficiently once Britain crashes out of EU?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            Sadly completely spot on.

Watching the interview Dyson as ever bangs on about a dearth of engineers in the UK but what he really means is that he can't get engineers at bargain basement prices. What is more, he wants to be able to "flex" his workforce which as an employer I'm sure would be wonderful for him but not so much for the poor sod who has just incurred £30-50k debt getting an engineering degree who can then be dropped on a whim.

He is also in trouble in the USA because he has been faking the suction power of his vacuum cleaners in TV adverts.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              So it's official now (because I say so) - Brexit sucks...
              As well as your squirrels?

Comment

That's why I have a Henry rather than a Dyson.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  That's why I have a Henry rather than a Dyson.
                  Yep. I was in a white goods store the other day and they had a number of people spread around demonstrating the Dyson. Upon asking the price and hearing the answer, I walked off...€500
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I wonder which EU specific legislation he objects to, rather than pre-existing British law?

Isn't the plan that we will simply photocopy EU law into UK law when we exit, so no changes there.
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X