• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU tells Britain it's living in 'fantasy land' over hopes for a 'basic' Brexit deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU tells Britain it's living in 'fantasy land' over hopes for a 'basic' Brexit deal

The British government is living in “fantasy land” if it believes that it can an amicable break-up with the EU in the event of a 'basic' Brexit, senior EU officials and diplomats have told The Telegraph.

Three separate EU sources in both Brussels and a leading EU capital have warned that British expectations of a “no deal, deal” had failed to understand the ramifications of the UK pulling out Europe without paying its bills.

The tough European line raises serious question about the value of assurances given by David Davis to the Lords this week that Europe would do a “basic” deal with Britain in the event that both sides were unable to negotiate a trade deal.

The Brexit secretary told the Lords EU select committee that in the “very, very improbable" event that a deal proved beyond the two sides, worst-case scenarios would be averted.

Exclusive: EU tells Britain it's living in 'fantasy land' over hopes for a 'basic' Brexit deal

They should have hired BrilloPad as Chief Negotiator - at least he would not have any illusions about amicable deals in divorce...

Excellent!

Theresa May "giant" on White Cliffs of Dover sends message to Europe
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes, that will show them tourists, go back to where you came from!

Comment

EU will hike the requirements for a deal to ensure that no deal is ever made.

They will cut off their nose to spite their face, it's about punishing Britain for not following the EU doctrine, at any cost.

We should walk sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          They will cut off their nose to spite their face, it's about punishing Britain for not following the EU doctrine, at any cost. We should walk sooner rather than later.
          How is walking sooner helps? That would just make punishment much harsher

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            EU will hike the requirements for a deal to ensure that no deal is ever made.

They will cut off their nose to spite their face, it's about punishing Britain for not following the EU doctrine, at any cost.

We should walk sooner rather than later.
            we shouldn't walk we should march out having arranged an alternative.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              we shouldn't walk we should march out having arranged an alternative.
              March off the cliff edge?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Three separate EU sources in both Brussels and a leading EU capital have warned that British expectations of a “no deal, deal” had failed to understand the ramifications of the UK pulling out Europe without paying its bills.
                Then it is our lookout. I wish they would just get on with whatever they want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Then it is our lookout. I wish they would just get on with whatever they want to do.
                  They are doing all just fine, it's HM Govt who is running around like a headless chicken

Comment

Angel of the North:

Angel of the South

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X