• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Families 600 quid worse off due to Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Good when the agency offers you a contract inside IR35 they you won't feel hard done by, you realise that you're paying your just deserts
    They are free to 'offer' whatever they want.

Let me reiterate an earlier point - not all contracts are inside IR35.

Has it been a while since you last contracted?
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

... after Philip Hammond screws contractors with new IR35 rules, Labour will finish off whatever minor advantage they have with some new eye wateringly high taxes.

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Only an idiot like you would assume that everything will continue as it is right now (not that the current system is any good).
      25 years of contracting with squeeze after squeeze tells me there'll be more and it is entirely possible, and even plausible, that IR35 might become moot because the PSC model may become untenable for ALL contractors.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

They are free to 'offer' whatever they want.

Has it been a while since you last contracted?
        No but the whole idea of Hammond's tax rises are to do just that, raise taxes not introduce new toothless rules.

Currently contractors can jump from the public sector to the private sector. When the new rules are introduced into the private sector, there will be no convenient hiding place and it will inevitably become difficult to simply hop over to the EU. In effect UK contractors will be "imprisoned" by HMRC's new rules.

Contractors need to plan for lower after tax earnings post Brexit.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Only an idiot like you would assume that everything will continue as it is right now (not that the current system is any good).
          25 years of contracting with squeeze after squeeze tells me there'll be more and it is entirely possible, and even plausible, that IR35 might become moot because the PSC model may become untenable for ALL contractors.
          Call me an idiot and then use words like 'may', 'might', 'possible' & 'plausible'

Yes, and it 'might' not happen in any meaningful way either, you freekin genius
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

No but the whole idea of Hammond's tax rises are to do just that, raise taxes not introduce new toothless rules.

Currently contractors can jump from the public sector to the private sector. When the new rules are introduced into the private sector, there will be no convenient hiding place and it will inevitably become difficult to simply hop over to the EU. In effect UK contractors will be "imprisoned" by HMRC's new rules.

Contractors need to plan for lower after tax earnings post Brexit.
            You're not aware of some government agencies raising their rates to attract some contractors to offset IR35?
            You're not aware that (according to the press) the deciding factor is left with the client, who could state outside IR35?
            You're not aware that there are factors which dictate whether IR35 applies to a contract?
            You're not aware that many clients operate outside of IR35?
            You're not aware these 'changes' haven't been confirmed and/or implemented yet (so nobody truly knows yet)?

Hmmmmm....
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

You're not aware of some government agencies raising their rates to attract some contractors to offset IR35?
              You're not aware that (according to the press) the deciding factor is left with the client, who could state outside IR35?
              You're not aware that there are factors which dictate whether IR35 applies to a contract?
              You're not aware that many clients operate outside of IR35?
              You're not aware these 'changes' haven't been confirmed and/or implemented yet (so nobody truly knows yet)?

Hmmmmm....
              Contractors working for public sector see income slashed by up to 30pc in wake of tax crackdown

You need to budget for a 30% cut in post tax earnings, sure some agencies have compensated with a 5 or 6% rate rise, but that's the best you can expect.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Contractors working for public sector see income slashed by up to 30pc in wake of tax crackdown

You need to budget for a 30% cut in post tax earnings, sure some agencies have compensated with a 5 or 6% rate rise, but that's the best you can expect.
                Not what these guys said..... 43% of 45% (you'll have to read the article to understand), saw rises in excess of 15%....
                https://www.contractorcalculator.co....7210_news.aspx
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Not what these guys said..... 43% of 45% (you'll have to read the article to understand), saw rises in excess of 15%....
                  https://www.contractorcalculator.co....7210_news.aspx
                  Yes but a 15% pre tax rise still means a post tax 20% cut and that is the best you can expect, so realistically you can expect on average a 25% cut. If both the private and public sector are treated in the same way there will be less pressure on companies to compensate.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Call me an idiot and then use words like 'may', 'might', 'possible' & 'plausible'

Yes, and it 'might' not happen in any meaningful way either, you freekin genius
                    Maybe that's why I'm a millionaire and you're not.
                    I always plan for the worst.
                    Anyone who thinks contracting, even in the private sector, is going to continue as it is has got to be either naive or stupid.

HTH, BIDI.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes but a 15% pre tax rise still means a post tax 20% cut and that is the best you can expect, so realistically you can expect on average a 25% cut. If both the private and public sector are treated in the same way there will be less pressure on companies to compensate.
                      15% wasn't the ceiling %, the clue was the words 'in excess'.

You think a bank will hesitate to offer whatever a skilled up contractor wants if their project is ballsed up and they need them there?
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X