• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Families 600 quid worse off due to Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess we're going to have to wait for Brexit to play out before people find out the cost. From my perspective, living where I do and knowing who I do, it's obvious that there is the start of an exodus of well-paid jobs out of London. This doesn't affect the unemployment rate at all but what it is doing is hollowing out the economy and reducing the tax take that pays for public services.
    I don't expect complete catastrophe from Brexit, I expect the current state of the NHS to worsen, the army and police to be cut further, the streets to be dirtier, less money for education and fewer jobs of all types about.
    And of course food prices will rise as they are already beginning to.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Brexit means rubbish blowing in the streets, long waiting times for hospital treatment, dirty buildings, higher tax rates, increasing difficulties to get the heating engineer or plumber out in winter, and there may or may not be a recession depending on how much the government decide to cave in on Brexit. I very much suspect Brexit will be in name only with a whole load of jobs moved off to the EU. In short it will be a repeat of the 1960's where people eyed the renaissent European continent with envy from their dirty slums.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 6 November 2017, 10:26.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Brexit means rubbish blowing in the streets, long waiting times for hospital treatment, dirty buildings, higher tax rates, increasing difficulties to get the heating engineer or plumber out in winter, and there may or may not be a recession depending on how much the government decide to cave in on Brexit. I very much suspect Brexit will be in name only with a whole load of jobs moved off to the EU. In short it will be a repeat of the 1960's where people eyed the renaissent European continent with envy from their dirty slums.
        No no thats called a labour government.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          No no thats called a labour government.
          Except the hospital waiting times and the dirty streets. Taxes didn't go up either did they really, not under the last Labour government.

Anyway Brexit will really ensure that everything goes downhill, and after Philip Hammond screws contractors with new IR35 rules, Labour will finish off whatever minor advantage they have with some new eye wateringly high taxes. Contractor rates will probably pushed down so that businesses can afford the additional burden of satisfying two completely different regulatory systems.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Except the hospital waiting times and the dirty streets. Taxes didn't go up either did they really, not under the last Labour government.

Anyway Brexit will really ensure that everything goes downhill, and after Philip Hammond screws contractors with new IR35 rules, Labour will finish off whatever minor advantage they have with some new eye wateringly high taxes. Contractor rates will probably pushed down so that businesses can afford the additional burden of satisfying two completely different regulatory systems.
            Well contractors will probably go permie, thus putting pressure and increasing competition with current thick bottom-feeder permies.
            Everyone moves down the ladder.
            It'll be alright for the contractors to live on a 50K pittance providing they've paid off their mortgages.
            The permies who have to give way for them may struggle though.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Well contractors will probably go permie, thus putting pressure and increasing competition with current thick bottom-feeder permies.
              It'll be alright for the contractors to live on a 50K pittance providing they've paid off their mortgages.
              I look on the bright side, my "remoaner" sister who works as a nurse for the NHS will be getting an inflation busting pay rise next year funded by the Contractor tax rises from Hammond.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Coulda sworn I saw somewhere, that rates had increased to offset the additional IR35 tax burdens. Must have been my imagination

Or was it that droves were leaving the public sector and projects were falling behind.

Hmmm, something about supply & demand is tingling my spideysense, but I can't put my finger on it

Also, there's the big issue with your statement, which I think you've both missed, namely, not every contract is IR35 caught.

Still, keep and wishing ill on others
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                  Coulda sworn I saw somewhere, that rates had increased to offset the additional IR35 tax burdens. Must have been my imagination

Or was it that droves were leaving the public sector and projects were falling behind.

Hmmm, something about supply & demand is tingling my spideysense, but I can't put my finger on it

Also, there's the big issue with your statement, which I think you've both missed, namely, not every contract is IR35 caught.

Still, keep and wishing ill on others
                  not wishing anyone ill to pay their fair share of tax

I'm alright Jack

Comment

not wishing anyone ill

to pay their fair share of tax

The tax we pay is fair, given the risks, security and choices we make.

We're not employees and as such aren't taxed as one.

HTH BIDI
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      The tax we pay is fair, given the risks, security and choices we make.

We're not employees and as such aren't taxed as one.

HTH BIDI
                      Good when the agency offers you a contract inside IR35 they you won't feel hard done by, you realise that you're paying your just deserts
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X