• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Families 600 quid worse off due to Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    This is what you don't get. I'm not worse off. I'm in the top 10% and can ride the wave of any downturn due to Brexit. Due to my skills and background I'll likely be the same if not better off under Brexit. I voted remain though not for me but for those who will be worse off. I voted for the greater good not my own personal gain. £600 for me is gravy, but for many in this country this will tip them over the edge - but hey, so long as you're Ok eh?
    What price freedom?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      This is what you don't get. I'm not worse off. I'm in the top 10% and can ride the wave of any downturn due to Brexit. Due to my skills and background I'll likely be the same if not better off under Brexit. I voted remain though not for me but for those who will be worse off. I voted for the greater good not my own personal gain. £600 for me is gravy, but for many in this country this will tip them over the edge - but hey, so long as you're Ok eh?
      You might be in the top 10% but many people in the bottom 50% are suffering, getting shot of cheap labour might help them.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        You might be in the top 10% but many people in the bottom 50% are suffering, getting shot of cheap labour might help them.
        Especially nurses. Why can't we train more?

Comment

Hundreds of tons of Apples in Worcestershire, blueberries in Scotland, raspberries in Kent and various other crops like broccoli, cauliflower and pumpkins have been left to rot because there's simply not enough workers to pick them after the Brexit vote.
          http://www.cumbriachamberofcommerce....71277-49692487

https://www.ft.com/content/13e183ee-...3-38a6e068f464

https://www.nfuonline.com/cross-sect...018-nfu-warns/

So if you're one of the significant minority of Brexiters who voted the way you did because you wanted the foreigners expelled, go and pick the fruit and veg before it rots in the fields.

It doesn't matter if you're retired, picking fruit and veg slowly and inefficiently is better than leaving it to rot.

And it doesn't matter if you already have a job. Fruit and veg picked at weekends and on Bank Holidays is better than produce left to spoil because there's nobody to pick it at all.

And if you're one of the Brexiters who voted without really thinking about the consequences of your actions for the agricultural sector, maybe you should lend a hand too, because it's highly unlikely that the four million odd seething xenophobes you sided with are going to take any responsibility for their actions at all isn't it?
          Last edited by darmstadt; 5 November 2017, 09:21.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

All the evidence suggests that EU immigration didn't lower wages by any appreciable amount, moreover the unemployment rate ha sbeen at 5% or less for a long time, indicating full employment.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/imm...s-immigration/
            The Labour Market Effects of Immigration - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory
            https://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/how-sma...ation-uk-wages

However the lower growth rates we're seeing this year and for the forseeable future, which will be exacerbated by Brexit, implies that considerably fewer jobs will be created going forward.
            Now that will affect the lower and middle strata considerably.
            Brexit will make everyone except the top 10% considerably poorer,
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Have the fruit picking wages gone up or are those British citizens who are supposed to pick meant to give up their benefits which pay their rent & food bill so they can live 10 to a room for peanuts and then wait 3 months until their benefits restart after a couple of weeks picking. Obviously the fruit all rotted on the trees before 2004. QEI probably had the same problem. Sounds like the farmers have failed to change their habits in a changing environment.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                All the evidence suggests that EU immigration didn't lower wages by any appreciable amount, moreover the unemployment rate ha sbeen at 5% or less for a long time, indicating full employment.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/imm...s-immigration/
                The Labour Market Effects of Immigration - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory
                https://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/how-sma...ation-uk-wages

However the lower growth rates we're seeing this year and for the forseeable future, which will be exacerbated by Brexit, implies that considerably fewer jobs will be created going forward.
                Now that will affect the lower and middle strata considerably.
                Brexit will make everyone except the top 10% considerably poorer,
                https://www.ft.com/content/83e7e87e-...8-3700c5664d30

Have a look at the quadrant.well the UK has been in a very funny place since 2007. Stagnating wages yet rising employment, sort of belies the law of supply & demand.

If you see massive uncontrolled immigration 500,000 a year from low cost countries is the thing that happened during this period. There are more people willing to take jobs at lower wages, why would you raise them?

Brexit was many years later, so it may affect the future after 2019 but so far it has made little real difference, the sky hasn't fallen in.

Comment

Have the fruit picking wages gone up or are those British citizens who are supposed to pick meant to give up their benefits which pay their rent & food bill so they can live 10 to a room for peanuts and then wait 3 months until their benefits restart after a couple of weeks picking. Obviously the fruit all rotted on the trees before 2004. QEI probably had the same problem. Sounds like the farmers have failed to change their habits in a changing environment.
                  Since 1945: Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme | UK SAWS Visa | Working in UK so really, fruit picking and so on by 'furriners' has been going on for a long time

Most EU countries operate such arrangements, which typically extend well beyond the regional bloc to include other nations, such as Ukraine, Thailand and Morocco.

Low unemployment rates and the seasonal nature of farm work makes it difficult to attract domestic pickers, the sector argues.
                  At the same time, the UK has also become less attractive to seasonal workers mostly from Romania and Bulgaria because of the fall in the value of sterling against the euro since Britain voted last year in a referendum to leave the EU.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    £600 a year, so practically a freebie to escape the EU. Bargain in my books.
                    Your concept of social responsibility sucks, stick to software development and we will all be a lot safer.
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Since 1945: Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme | UK SAWS Visa | Working in UK so really, fruit picking and so on by 'furriners' has been going on for a long time

Most EU countries operate such arrangements, which typically extend well beyond the regional bloc to include other nations, such as Ukraine, Thailand and Morocco.
                      yes strangely we knew about that, so then its unaffected by Brexit innit! Yet you & Ass seem to think the issue is to do with Brexit.

What has happened is in the past few years more people have come to pick fruit & depressed the wages. Now the farmers are squealing.

Comment

Working...
                      X