• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What will the remoaners drive after Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH The chancellor already gave most cars that are interesting to drive a kick in the 'nads by screwing with the taxation system last April. Whatever the WTO tariff ends up as it won't be much worse...

But if you are focusing on what can be bought as tariff free. Jaguar Land Rover have more than enough toys to play with.

Oh and we have been buying Japanese cars for decades under WTO rules.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      TBH The chancellor already gave most cars that are interesting to drive a kick in the 'nads by screwing with the taxation system last April. Whatever the WTO tariff ends up as it won't be much worse...

But if you are focusing on what can be bought as tariff free. Jaguar Land Rover have more than enough toys to play with.

But how can this be.... WTO rules suck apparently....

Comment

Meanwhile in Norway

Norway rethinks electric car incentives as revenue falls

On the losing side of Mr Nordbo’s commute are local municipalities, including Finnoy, which went into debt to dig the $US70 million tunnel but charge no fee on electric cars because of national policies aimed at curbing carbon emissions.

The incentive helped convince many islanders to shift to electric cars. The vehicles now account for about a quarter of tunnel traffic, and allow owners to dodge one of the heaviest toll burdens in the country.

For the Finnoy mayor, however, the maths looks awry.

“That doesn’t work in the long term,” said Gro Skartveit, who doubles as chairwoman of the company operating the tunnel. “We won’t be able to pay down the tunnel.”

The fast-growing cohort of electric-car drivers — in Finnoy and across the country — is jamming Norway’s public finances.

With a set of generous incentives, the Nordic nation has assembled one of the world’s largest garages of electric cars. In June, one in five new cars sold in Norway was electric, up from one in eight a year earlier.

Now, authorities are worried the bill is becoming unsustainable. The government estimates it will lose over half-a-billion dollars in tax revenue on electric cars this year, while free parking and toll exemptions will cost tunnel, ferry and road operators another $US40m ($55m).

Norway’s dilemma suggests the difficulty ahead for governments when they phase out incentives — and the ripple effects they cause to electric-car sales.
        Nocookies | The Australian
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No. We pay 10% import duty as agreed between EU and Japan.
          Except on the Japanese cars made in the EU.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

2nd hand London Uber's ??

Comment

The Japanese cars we mostly buy are made here, qualify as EU made
              But there are some made in Japan e.g. Subaru, Mazda
              A Subaru XV or Forester starts at about 22K, Mazda CX-5 starts at 23.5K , a Qashqai (their direct competitor, made here) at about 19K.
              Qashqais are very popular in Europe, but I doubt there's a huge profit margin on them. 10% extra would kill sales .
              Last edited by sasguru; 16 October 2017, 12:08.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                WTO rules suck apparently....
                Well you got one thing right.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  The Japanese cars we mostly buy are made here, qualify as EU made
                  But there are some made in Japan e.g. Subaru, Mazda
                  A Subaru XV or Forester starts at about 22K, Mazda CX-5 starts at 23.5K , a Qashqai (their direct competitor) at about 19K.
                  I was more inclined to consider proper contractor cars like:

- Honda NSX
                  - Honda Civic (Type - R)
                  - Nissan GTO
                  - Nissan 350
                  - Toyota GT86
                  - Lexus RCF/GCF/LCF
                  - Mazda MX6

and as you say the Subaru's have had a massive ricer-boy following in the UK over the years.

None of these (apart from the Type R) have been UK built and all of them have WTO taxes on them. Next year we may just see the German cars lose their unfair advantage over the non - eu competition...

Going back many years when company cars was still a thing, I worked with a team of guys that all wanted Audi A4's when they were cool. I opted for a Honda Accord. one day I gave one of the guys a lift. "What do you mean you have a sun roof and climate control?" he asked in amazement.. then he spotted that my car had electric windows in the back as well

We have been buying German cars on the basis that they are the best for some time. But actually I have only ever owned two cars that were completely faultless for the whole time I owned them and they were both Honda's My SAAB's were probably the next best behaved. But my current pair of Merc's were very poor considering the price of them.

Comment

Whatever the rental co does the best deal on

Comment

I was more inclined to consider proper contractor cars like:

- Honda NSX
                      - Honda Civic (Type - R)
                      - Nissan GTO
                      - Nissan 350
                      - Toyota GT86
                      - Lexus RCF/GCF/LCF
                      - Mazda MX6

and as you say the Subaru's have had a massive ricer-boy following in the UK over the years.

None of these (apart from the Type R) have been UK built and all of them have WTO taxes on them. Next year we may just see the German cars lose their unfair advantage over the non - eu competition...

Going back many years when company cars was still a thing, I worked with a team of guys that all wanted Audi A4's when they were cool. I opted for a Honda Accord. one day I gave one of the guys a lift. "What do you mean you have a sun roof and climate control?" he asked in amazement.. then he spotted that my car had electric windows in the back as well

We have been buying German cars on the basis that they are the best for some time. But actually I have only ever owned two cars that were completely faultless for the whole time I owned them and they were both Honda's My SAAB's were probably the next best behaved. But my current pair of Merc's were very poor considering the price of them.
                      I had an MX6 in the late 90's - early 2K's, very fast and very good fun. Shame they stopped making them.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X