• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Pound Traders Eye Brexit Talks to Shock It Out of Euro Doldrums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Against the Euro the pound dropped from 1.145 to 1.135 - Brexit talks going well then.
    I think that's known at the Mark Carney effect:

Mark Carney says time not right for interest rate rise - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Against the Euro the pound dropped from 1.145 to 1.135 - Brexit talks going well then.

Leave a comment:

• grabri
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    The EU are not daft enough to inflict limitless damage on themselves purely to punish the UK.
    They just need to sit back and watch the UK self-flagellate....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The EU are not daft enough to inflict limitless damage on themselves purely to punish the UK.
    They won't have to - they hold all the cards, it's the weak party that got no chance

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The EU are most definitely daft enough to inflict limitless damage on themselves purely to punish the UK.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Seems an informed article. Basically - "we haven't a clue"

PS I like your username Martin@AS Financial. Made me much more likely to read a thread on this subject as it seems you must know about these things. I am going to ditch my user name and sign in as xoggoth@incrediblywiseandexpertonallthings
    Oi Mod

Custom title needed!

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I disagree. I think the EU is NOT to ensure the best deal for the EU. Their only concern is to punish the UK.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Dont believe Brexit could turn ugly, where you have 2 parties that need to agree on a deal then they will get to the best outcome for both that tries to satisfy the basic principles.

Basic principle of EU is no Customs Union or single market without FOM, they have to stick with that, but they can do a new deal where UK pay something and agree to some relaxation of border controls for access.

Basic principle of UK is freedom to create own laws and immigration controls, but Govt. have not said in any detail what the controls are so also have the ability to make a deal.

As for Laws we will be taking on most of the EU laws and sticking with the vast majority, UK companies will not make goods, cars for instance, where they have one model satisfying UK law and another satisfying EU law, they will make one car that satisfies both.
    I disagree. I think the EU is NOT to ensure the best deal for the EU. Their only concern is to punish the UK.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Dont believe Brexit could turn ugly, where you have 2 parties that need to agree on a deal then they will get to the best outcome for both that tries to satisfy the basic principles.

Basic principle of EU is no Customs Union or single market without FOM, they have to stick with that, but they can do a new deal where UK pay something and agree to some relaxation of border controls for access.

Basic principle of UK is freedom to create own laws and immigration controls, but Govt. have not said in any detail what the controls are so also have the ability to make a deal.

As for Laws we will be taking on most of the EU laws and sticking with the vast majority, UK companies will not make goods, cars for instance, where they have one model satisfying UK law and another satisfying EU law, they will make one car that satisfies both.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Seems an informed article. Basically - "we haven't a clue"

PS I like your username Martin@AS Financial. Made me much more likely to read a thread on this subject as it seems you must know about these things. I am going to ditch my user name and sign in as xoggoth@incrediblywiseandexpertonallthings

Leave a comment:

Working...
X