• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple solution to the Brexit problem - stay in Europe AND cancel Freedom of Movement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The EU will be offering a transitional deal in the EEA so freedom of movement will be continuing indefinitely anyway, because it will take years to hammer out the final deal. In the meantime EU citizens have in any case stopped coming to the UK. Brexit is yesterday's story

The story will be how can the UK attract enough workers from the EU, in particular nurses who are now not coming at all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not what it says in the EU rules SE. Article 7 only says you have to be employed or self employed, nowt about being able to support yourself without resort to benefits. Why those Big Issue Sellers get to stay here. If other countries do do what you said, maybe we are just obeying the rules too much.
    Their benefit rules are different to the UK.

In nearly all European countries if you don't pay in and aren't a resident for long enough you aren't entitled to benefits. So if you have no money you have no choice but to feck off to your home country.

In the UK as long as you are looking for work you are entitled to unemployment benefit. They have clamped down on housing benefit here which has left landlords out of pocket.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Tony Blair tried to introduce ID cards as he clearly knew he had fecked up
    One so Blair's sensible policies. Don't see why there is such opposition to ID cards.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If you don't have a means to support yourself and you aren't married/have a long term partner who will support you, then you have to leave the country after 3 months for a period of time
    Not what it says in the EU rules SE. Article 7 only says you have to be employed or self employed, nowt about being able to support yourself without resort to benefits. Why those Big Issue Sellers get to stay here. If other countries do do what you said, maybe we are just obeying the rules too much.

Thought I'd read a while ago that we could get rid of serious criminals. Not always the case it seems:
    https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-d...ime-committed/

Just show why the EU is such crap really. Articles should have stated that all migrants should be self supporting without resort to long term benefits and any with a serious criminal record (as defined) have no right to remain. Stricter rules would have seen the EU viewed more favourably.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    How do you explain the need to apply for a residency permit in addition to a work permit, both usually limited to 1 year? (There are quite a few to choose from, but then you knew that). Freedom of movement, and the ability to apply for a permit with very stringent restrictions, are not the same thing. Put me out of my misery and tell me which bits of this I got wrong.
    If you go to France, Spain, Finland, Austria etc and want to stay more than 3 months you need to register at the local town hall/police station/registration office, say what you are doing in the country and state/prove how you will support yourself.

If you don't you can be fined or chucked out of the country.

If you don't have a means to support yourself and you aren't married/have a long term partner who will support you, then you have to leave the country after 3 months for a period of time. This period can be as little as 24 hours. If you don't then you can be chucked out. Though most people aren't chucked out like Sarkozy chucked out the Roma they leave voluntary.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I live in Switzerland. You cannot work here if your income is below a certain limit, for more than three months, unless you meet certain criteria (like being a student for a low paid internship). However, contrary to what Mordac thinks, this is in line with EU law.

The reason the UK haven't done this, is because, unlike the rest of Europe, whose legal system is derived from the Napoleonic code, there is no requirement for people moving into a new town or village, to register with the local authorities. In the UK, there's no realistic way of policing it, without introducing some form of obligatory ID card, and/or making people register where they live. And that's not going to happen because "it's not British".

Yes, I know... electoral register, driving licence et. al. But it really isn't the same as having to carry ID around with you, demonstrating your right to be where you are.
    Tony Blair tried to introduce ID cards as he clearly knew he had fecked up.

There was a fight against it which the Tories backed.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As others have said above we could have been stricter on low earners, those claiming benefit or criminals, had we chosen to do so. Our governments are too generous and too ready to implement EU rules that some others ignore.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I was in Switzerland, they do.

How do you explain the need to apply for a residency permit in addition to a work permit, both usually limited to 1 year? (There are quite a few to choose from, but then you knew that). Freedom of movement, and the ability to apply for a permit with very stringent restrictions, are not the same thing. Put me out of my misery and tell me which bits of this I got wrong.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The immigration Issue could have been solved easily. Stop non-EU immigration.

DC yet again showing how out of touch he was.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    OK (a) allows low paid workers - but Switzerland manages to make it impossible, so could we.
    Switzerland isn't in the EU. That's how they "make it impossible".
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ostensibly, they have to abide by FoM, you ignorant cretin.
    That's the point.
    As you have demonstrated, they don't. Certainly not to the extent that EU member states have to.
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I was in Switzerland, they do.
    I live in Switzerland. You cannot work here if your income is below a certain limit, for more than three months, unless you meet certain criteria (like being a student for a low paid internship). However, contrary to what Mordac thinks, this is in line with EU law.

The reason the UK haven't done this, is because, unlike the rest of Europe, whose legal system is derived from the Napoleonic code, there is no requirement for people moving into a new town or village, to register with the local authorities. In the UK, there's no realistic way of policing it, without introducing some form of obligatory ID card, and/or making people register where they live. And that's not going to happen because "it's not British".

Yes, I know... electoral register, driving licence et. al. But it really isn't the same as having to carry ID around with you, demonstrating your right to be where you are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X