• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ship is sinking. The rats are leaving...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Junker is just but one man. We've many members of parliament in the UK who are even more despicable.

Listen to Guy Verhofstadt, our 'EU negotiator', one of the most sensible chaps out there at the minute. No one is talking about political integration on the levels of vitriol spouted the Brexiters. He talks about the common threats facing Europe as a whole. The UK was a decisive influence in shaping the EU.

Indeed the need for shared services. Stuff you might not even consider, like air traffic control in our ever busier skies. A sector I used to work in, I can't imagine a return to the 80 early 90's handing aircraft from the continent to the UK with only a timetable to go by. Crazy.
    Verhofstadt was on news-night Monday or Tuesday last week. He was spot on about the EU, the only way forwards is massive further integration. But I think that is a tough sell.

I used to work in ATC 2000's and there is seamless integration of our traffic with the continent through MOU and standard agreements. The UK is one of the leading contributors to SESAR. This doesn't need to stop when we leave the EU.

The EU is just one way. Not the only way. Just because we choose a different path does not make it wrong or make us a bunch of xenophobic racists.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I used to work in ATC 2000's and there is seamless integration of our traffic with the continent through MOU and standard agreements. The UK is one of the leading contributors to SESAR. This doesn't need to stop when we leave the EU.
      Exactly, the UK is a leading contributor. But that contribution will go up in smoke with Mayhem in charge. The integration of EU traffic control is an EU initiative with many members.

Used to work in Swanwick and West Drayton back in the day and again in 05/06 was it... then hoping over to the continent in pursuit of 'single European sky project'. The money that has already been poured into that endeavour... It is one project I recall that is dependent upon free movement more than others. I don't see how it can continue in a meaningful manner without FoM. It needs efficiency to work.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Verhofstadt was on news-night Monday or Tuesday last week. He was spot on about the EU, the only way forwards is massive further integration. But I think that is a tough sell.
        Indeed. But it needs to happen. Slowly. And with the UK's influence, not sticking fingers up at the continent from the cliffs of Dover. What is a threat to the EU is just as real to the UK. There are threats to the way of life on the fringes on the continent that can only be confronted through unification.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I thought long and hard whether the EU would/could change with the UK on the inside. After Cameron's failed renegotiation combined with weak handling of the migrant crisis and debt crisis - all of which had great opportunities for reform - I came to the conclusion that the EU is incapable of reforming.
          This is why I voted to leave.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            +1.. Interestingly most of the people I've spoken to over the past week in Austria (when things turned to Brexit as conversations inevitably do) can see our point of view... The migrant crisis is a very sore topic for them...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Was it not the case EU members would should not have a GDP to debt ration greater than 65%. What did we break ours?

Cameron was a mistake of a PM. He couldn't negotiate his way out of an empty carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I think a lot of people voted leave due to this- me included.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Camoron was tulip at negotiating. He wasn't like Thatcher, Blair, Brown or even Clegg. For a start you don't tell some foreign leader I will definitely win a referendum then start begging for concessions.
                  Don't think that happened.

The most significant part of this isn't so much that Juncker is going, it is more that everything we have said about negotiations is starting to come true.

Whilst Brussels plus a few French and Germans might be willing to make sacrifices to punish us for leaving, the majority of smaller countries won't.

The Spanish have recently stated this, pointing to the value of bristish tourism. The Poles have pointed to the number of Polish citizens in the UK. The Italians have pointed to their exports to the UK.

None of the above have interests in punishment or massive tariffs. We keep saying such things would be two water but the Remnants ignore the obvious.

Time for Remnants to take their heads out of the sand.

Comment

I think a lot of people voted leave due to this- me included.
                    You voted leave because of humanitarian crisis brought about in part by our foreign policy to bring to an end a 42 year relationship?

Is that not like Scotland leaving the UK because of a failed Tory policy in a single term (not to mentioned their failed handling of the debt crisis)?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Was it not the case EU members would should not have a GDP to debt ration greater than 65%. What did we break ours?

Cameron was a mistake of a PM. He couldn't negotiate his way out of an empty carpark.
                      2013 figures (I couldn't find any more recent ones)

EU average 87.4%

UK 90.6%
                      RoI 123.7%
                      Italy 132.6%
                      Greece 175.1%

Christ only knows what those figures are today. I agree with you about CallMeDave though, sending the class nerd to deal with the playground bullies was a mahoosive mistake. They just laughed at him and now we have Brexit.

Edit: Source? Google, natch.
                      Last edited by Mordac; 12 February 2017, 11:52.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X