• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit rebellion building in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Anyone seriously considering the circumstances in which we ignore the vote, however clever that mechanism might appear to be, doesn't realise what they're playing with.
    Pig tulip thick, racist 51.9% British, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      But it is all rather silly. There needs to be an election for a new parliament through which can be formed a government that has a mandate to negotiate with the EU.
      ps. I agree.

Article 50 is going to be invoked once the Tories have a PM. Then there will be an election (I hope), assuming the new PM thinks they can win it convincingly. Any party that aims to reverse the decision will need to stand on an explicit manifesto to do this. They will be absolutely killed. Not even a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Pig tulip thick, racist 51.9% British, innit?

Comment

I don't know where you read this, but it's completely baseless.

The process (of notifying the EU) is controlled by Gov't, not parliament. What you're suggesting is that a scenario could arise whereby a new Tory PM chooses not to formally notify the European Council of our intention to leave.

I can't believe I'm even bothering to write this. You can choose not to take me at my word, but I would've said the same, had we lost.

Anyone seriously considering the circumstances in which we ignore the vote, however clever that mechanism might appear to be, doesn't realise what they're playing with. Funny stuff.

Bring on Stage 3!
          Law forum, believe it or not, I have a law degree....

People that know more than me, but yeah, it's all theorising, guess they're getting off on the legal niceties....

Basically about Art.48 which is how Greenland left the EU, which is basically an amendment of EU membership, it would need to be ratified by all the 28 countries of the EU and the European Parliament. But that would be the case for a Brexit deal under Article 50 anyway, so both have the same level of difficulty.

There is precedent though, though Art 48 isn't 'leaving' in my short span of trying to read the thing without falling asleep.
          Last edited by stek; 26 June 2016, 21:19.

Comment

Lets face it, it's pretty clear the EU will be squeezing the UK's balls hard and there is a significant parliamentary majority for a solution similar to Norway with the free movement of peopleworkers.

It'll make government easy, just wait for the faxes of the new rules from Brussels and implement them. Boris would then have more time for his charity cricket matches.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

ps. I agree.

Article 50 is going to be invoked once the Tories have a PM. Then there will be an election (I hope), assuming the new PM thinks they can win it convincingly. Any party that aims to reverse the decision will need to stand on an explicit manifesto to do this. They will be absolutely killed. Not even a little bit.
              FPTP is a funny thing. If only one party seeks explicitly to stay in the EU the Brexit vote gets split.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                believe it or not, I have a law degree....
                NOT

Comment

Westminster are no longer in any position to dictate terms. Nicola Sturgeon is the only visible politician doing anything positive; the rest are either hiding, fighting, resigning or off playing cricket. The SNP could seize Westminster tomorrow and Boris Johnson would be glad to be off the hook.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Westminster are no longer in any position to dictate terms. Nicola Sturgeon is the only visible politician doing anything positive; the rest are either hiding, fighting, resigning or off playing cricket. The SNP could seize Westminster tomorrow and Boris Johnson would be glad to be off the hook.
                    Yes she is the only one with her act together.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Get back in your cell biatch. And stop fantasising about the ugly old trout. She's running around making claims she hasn't got a hope in hell of delivering in the hope that someone thinks she is important enough for the EU to do a deal with.

Comment

Working...
                      X