• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

re IR35 - I am responsible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Those that ask for expert advice show that they know what to look for; it's those that are oblivious and don't ask for advice that are a danger to themselves.

If HMRC ever come calling, I know of some easier targets to go for than me
    It's the ones who fail a working conditions questionnaire then call to say "actually, that's not what I meant, what I really meant was that of course I can substitute" that worry me more!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      "It's going to take a couple of hours, that will be £99 please"
      "Ok here you go"
      "It's outside IR35"
      "Wow that was quick, what a terrific service"
      Some accountants maybe. I preferred a more ethical approach

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        Some accountants maybe. I preferred a more ethical approach
        Ahh lol. Well I am a contractor and a Yorkshire bloke. Taking money from stupid people is not only my job it's I'm my blood
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Those that ask for expert advice show that they know what to look for; it's those that are oblivious and don't ask for advice that are a danger to themselves.
          And I would argue they are a danger to those who are genuinely in business and put a lot of effort in to proving as we are under the same microscope and get hit by the same legislation that is trying to deal with people who don't care. That's why I get so wound up by people asking stupid questions and not caring about what they do on here. HMRC reads these forums and I don't see why I should be a target because of others that can't be bothered.

I've mentioned this idea a number of times. I know in the US the IRS will quite happily leave you alone if you can deliver them better wins. I would certainly be up for this kind of approach over here. You can already dob people in for tax evasion and pocket some of the money they gather but I don't think it well let you off the hook if you are the target of an investigation.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, but do they?
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

I've mentioned this idea a number of times. I know in the US the IRS will quite happily leave you alone if you can deliver them better wins. I would certainly be up for this kind of approach over here. You can already dob people in for tax evasion and pocket some of the money they gather but I don't think it well let you off the hook if you are the target of an investigation.
              If there was something in it for me, I might do it. If there wasn't, then they can find their own targets, unless I particularly didn't like someone (and there are a couple that immediately spring to mind).

In the meantime, they can argue it out with my insurance provider.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

HMRC reads these forums and I don't see why I should be a target because of others that can't be bothered.
                It would be nice if they asked you for your user name, then realised that some are more clued up than others and they won't win, and then pissed off somewhere else.

But I don't think that's going to happen somehow.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Haya all, thank you very much indeed for your comments and advice- much much appreciated!!!
                  I agree with all of you that the umbrella option is probably the best option for me at the moment, at least until I find my way around Ltd companies as suggested, plus I have to manage and pull myself together and recover from my recent horrendous working experience!

For the record,
                  I did express my concerns re:IR35 to both to the agency and to Paystream and the latter offered to ask their IR35 team to liaise with the agency and review my case/contract as a matter of urgency and get back to me asap. The agency re-assured me they have a very friendly IR35 contract and there is no way I could be seen as a 'disguised employee' and also happy to put this in writing, but also happy to work with paystream's IR35 team to both confirm this to my satisfaction (they said!).
                  I think I will wait and see what they come back with tomorrow and if anything exciting I will share with all of you and in case my 'story' helps anyone else in similar position...aaahhhh

Thank you very much once again all you fantastic people!!

Comment

Originally posted by katep View Post
                    Haya all, thank you very much indeed for your comments and advice- much much appreciated!!!
                    I agree with all of you that the umbrella option is probably the best option for me at the moment, at least until I find my way around Ltd companies as suggested, plus I have to manage and pull myself together and recover from my recent horrendous working experience!

For the record,
                    I did express my concerns re:IR35 to both to the agency and to Paystream and the latter offered to ask their IR35 team to liaise with the agency and review my case/contract as a matter of urgency and get back to me asap. The agency re-assured me they have a very friendly IR35 contract and there is no way I could be seen as a 'disguised employee' and also happy to put this in writing, but also happy to work with paystream's IR35 team to both confirm this to my satisfaction (they said!).
                    I think I will wait and see what they come back with tomorrow and if anything exciting I will share with all of you and in case my 'story' helps anyone else in similar position...aaahhhh

Thank you very much once again all you fantastic people!!
                    Changing the contract or indeed writing one to be outside IR35 is all very well but it won't do you a lot of good if your working practices will actually put you inside IR35. If, in reality, there is supervision, direction and control or you actually couldn't send in a sub chances are you would be inside IR35 regardless of what's written about either subject in the contract
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X