• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor mortgage....any suggestions who to go with?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor mortgage....any suggestions who to go with?

I've recently just applied for a mortgage through Contractor Financials who intend to offer me via Halifax 90% LTV for 4.99% interest.

Anyone been offered a better rate recently for a 10% deposit and who with? I understand interest rates did go up on the weekend (despite BoE base rates not changing!) as mine was 4.79%.

I'm just wondering if there are alternatives to contractors like myself with only 1 year history and 10%.

Speak to Freelancer Financials and see if they can offer you a better one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyCash View Post
      I've recently just applied for a mortgage through Contractor Financials who intend to offer me via Halifax 90% LTV for 4.99% interest.

Anyone been offered a better rate recently for a 10% deposit and who with? I understand interest rates did go up on the weekend (despite BoE base rates not changing!) as mine was 4.79%.

I'm just wondering if there are alternatives to contractors like myself with only 1 year history and 10%.
      Unlikely. With that deposit Halifax is likely to be your only viable option. Do what I did, and save for a 15% deposit as your rate of interest drops massively.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Clydesdale Bank - 3.99% depending on your circumstances, and whether you meet their criteria....

Have your broker looked into this?

Comment

FLF are OK via Halifax, BUT, as you can see from my previous thread, Halifax want a min of 6 month contract AND the wording in your contract MUST state 5 days a week !!!

Comment

Or you could plough ahead with the 4.99% (guessing fixed for 2yrs?) and then look to re-mortgage with a better 'deposit' later? I would think that aiming to get another 5-10% in 2yrs would be relatively achievable, and then - even with the value of the property staying static, which it likely won't - you could be looking at a 80% LTV and therefore more market choice and better rates
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by bodillc View Post
              FLF are OK via Halifax, BUT, as you can see from my previous thread, Halifax want a min of 6 month contract AND the wording in your contract MUST state 5 days a week !!!
              Halifax do NOT require a minimum six month contract, and the contract does not have to state that you work five days per week. It has to state the number of days that you're expected to work, however if you have the sort of role whereby you work 3/4 days per week then this is also acceptable.

I have a client at present who's contract is for XX days per month. We had his Halifax mortgage offer about 6 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McBurney@CMME View Post
                Clydesdale Bank - 3.99% depending on your circumstances, and whether you meet their criteria....

Have your broker looked into this?
                I thought with Clydesdale you needed either 2 years of accounts or a minimum of a 30% deposit?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post
                  I thought with Clydesdale you needed either 2 years of accounts or a minimum of a 30% deposit?
                  It isn't as clear cut as that, but that was what I meant by 'depending on circumstances'.

They are very good at looking at all situations so it's not as black and white as a yes or no on XXX circumstances.

EDIT: To clarify, they'll often look into previous work history to back up a shorter contracting period, for example. Ask your broker to speak with an underwriter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McBurney@CMME View Post
                    To clarify, they'll often look into previous work history to back up a shorter contracting period, for example. Ask your broker to speak with an underwriter.
                    This ^^

It is quite different to be, say, a new contractor who has no proven work history in a given area and a new contractor who has been doing much the same thing in permie-land for the last 10yrs+

The advantage that a (good) broker gives you is the ability to speak direct with underwriters, and who understands in the first place the best fit providers for your individual circumstance.
                    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X